Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Preapprovals

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Alliant Preapprovals

Looking at a checking/savings account, and I've heard some good things about Alliant CU. However,I am curious on how their pre-approval process works. When you first apply for membership, assuming you get pre-approvals right there on the spot for auto loans, credit cards, or LOC, can you decline to accept and just take them at a later date? If so, would there be an additional inquiry?

I really was only looking for a good checking/savings, another place to park my money for the time being, but their credit products caught my eye. Not that I really need any more credit at this point, but it is awfully tempting as they seem to be fairly generous with initial limits.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Preapprovals

@andyaycw wrote:
Looking at a checking/savings account, and I've heard some good things about Alliant CU. However,I am curious on how their pre-approval process works. When you first apply for membership, assuming you get pre-approvals right there on the spot for auto loans, credit cards, or LOC, can you decline to accept and just take them at a later date? If so, would there be an additional inquiry?

I really was only looking for a good checking/savings, another place to park my money for the time being, but their credit products caught my eye. Not that I really need any more credit at this point, but it is awfully tempting as they seem to be fairly generous with initial limits.

Alliant does a hard pull for opening checking/savings account (at least they did 6 months ago when I opened account).  In fact, they did 2 hard pulls (1 for account and 1 for credit card). However, several posters have been able to have the same initial hard pull used for both.  You have no downside to seeing what products you are approved for.  You might as well take advantage of the hard pull

Message 2 of 4
manyquestions
Established Contributor

If you want preapprovals from Alliant I would apply over the phone.  Sometimes the online app says they are unable to offer you membership at the end when in fact you get membership.  Problem is if that happens you miss out on any preapprovals.  Anyway this is the way it was maybe six months to a year ago, maybe they have fixed there app since then.  It had some kind of glitch that was causing this for some applicants.
Message 3 of 4
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Someone posted recently on this or the other big board, that Alliant has stopped offering pre-approved credit cards when joining onilne, as they once did as recently as a few months ago.  Economic climate and all that, you know.  Also, I believe it's now a second hard pull if you do apply for a credit product, aside from the membership pull.  When I joined in February, it was one hard pull on EQ, and they preapproved me for a bunch of products.  They will check Chexsystems as well, upon joining. 

Obviously, as in all matters of credit, YMMV.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.