Frequent Contributor
wndrwmn78

Alliant: apply online or over the phone?

I recently joined Alliant Credit Union with a savings account. I did not receive any pre-approved offers, since I got the 3 to 5 day response originally. I'd like to apply for either a personal loan or an auto loan with them, and then hopefully down the road a Visa. Is it better for me to apply over the phone with a LO as opposed to online? I seem to see a lot of posts about applying directly with a LO over the phone, and wondered if that would give me a better chance of acceptance, or if it's just the result of ANY application.

One more question: if I were to be declined, does Alliant have a timeframe they want you to wait before you apply again, such as Chase requiring you to wait 6 months? 

Thanks in advance for your help! :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Duplex

Re: Alliant: apply online or over the phone?

If you apply online you have to select an option to be contacted by a loan officer by phone or email, so either way you will end up speaking to the loan officer.

After the loan officer explained to me why I was denied, she encouraged me to make regular deposits into my checking or savings and then apply again in six months. 

Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

As an alternative, a secured loan with Alliant requires no credit check, can be paid off in six months, establishes you with Alliant and puts a little savings to work for you.  Savings interest is 2.23%; Secured loan is 4.5%, meaning a total cost of 2.27%.  It doesn't have to be a large loan, just something to get your foot in the door.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Frequent Contributor
wndrwmn78

Itsmeagain wrote:
As an alternative, a secured loan with Alliant requires no credit check, can be paid off in six months, establishes you with Alliant and puts a little savings to work for you.  Savings interest is 2.23%; Secured loan is 4.5%, meaning a total cost of 2.27%.  It doesn't have to be a large loan, just something to get your foot in the door.

Would $500 be enough to establish a relationship with them, or is that too small?

Senior Contributor
score_building

wndrwmn78 wrote:

Itsmeagain wrote:

Would $500 be enough to establish a relationship with them, or is that too small?

based on my experience at alliant that would be a fine start. 

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

wndrwmn78 wrote:

To establish yourself, the amount is not so important as regularity.  For example; saving 50/mo. would show that you can manage your account and would prove you could manage a payment for at least that amount on a regular basis.  After about six months of regular savings deposits, you should qualify for their credit products with no problem.

Frequent Contributor
wndrwmn78

Thank you! I think that I'll take your advice and start those regular monthly deposits. Maybe I will also try to do the $500 secured loan, and still contribute to the savings account while paying the loan down...can't hurt to be twice as "reliable"! :smileyhappy:

Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

You're welcome.  I hope your experience with Alliant is as good as mine has been so far.  Great customer service and good credit products.

Good Luck

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+