Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ally bank Cash rewards Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ally bank Cash rewards Card

I didn't know I was approved until I received the card.
Message 11 of 19
NC84
Regular Contributor

Oh really? Maybe I have hope still
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good checking accounts, good savings accounts, average credit card.

I would defend the rewards structure if the fees were typical of Ally Bank.

This card would be considered top of the line if:

-There were not late fees, ever. (Similar to Simplicity card).

-No penalty APR, ever.

-Cash advance APR the same as purchase APR.

-Lower APR and balance transfer APR range (such as 8.75 to 15.75 or something).

-No cash advance fee.

-No foreign transaction fee.

Credit unions offer cards with all of the above, and also have the overhead costs. There's no reason for Ally Bank to have all of those fees for their credit card.

If I were you, I wouldn't apply for it.

Message 13 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Interesting perspective about the difference with Credit Unions. Anymore, I prefer CU's over anything else. Personally, they just seem to have more to offer.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
Interesting perspective about the difference with Credit Unions. Anymore, I prefer CU's over anything else. Personally, they just seem to have more to offer.

I guess it depends on what you mean by more to offer. While credit unions are generally more member friendly, many seem to lack the basic asthetics and technology avaliable to consumers. For example, Empower FCU had the most outdated looking website until November of last year. Additionally, the credit union still lacks the mobile check deposit feature, a World Elite MasterCard variant, a cash reward redemption (credit cards) option, and lacks 24/7/365 customer service. Empower also didn't have Apple Pay for nearly a year after release, and still lacks Samsung and Android Pay support. Also, the website doesn't allow you to register online right now, but the credit union claims they're "working on it." however I do give them credit for reaching each EMV deadline... Their cards were 100% chipped by October 1st and the old ones were deactivated on that date by the computer, while their ATM's will be replaced with EMV and up and running by October 2016. I also have to give much credit to the fact that they send you 6 free checkbooks a year for FREE if you have direct deposit. SIX. 

Personally I like my Citi checking account more than my old Empower one. Citi offers a more diverse portfolio of checking accounts.. For example, my access account doesn't have overdraft fees. I went over on accident once and I didn't have to pay a $35-$38 fee, although the account doesn't allow for paper checks, however, I can still have the bank print one and send it for me, which is more convienent and cheaper anyways. Citi also has next day delivery and 3 day delivery of ACH transfer via pop money, where my credit union didn't offer that.

When it comes to credit cards, though, I like to have a diverse portfolio. Citi has its advantages over Empower in certain areas and vice-versa. If I pay on my Citi card, the avaliable credit is restored immediately. I like the 24/7/365 customer service, the higher rewards on my Double Cash; however, I like the lower interest rate and basically no fees (other than $25 for being 10 days or more late) the card offers, plus it offers 1 points per dollar spent with redemption starting at 5,000 points for a $75 gift card. 

Message 15 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn't know I was approved until I received the card.

score?

limit?

inquiries?

report used?

Message 16 of 19
NC84
Regular Contributor

I called the # earlier today and they needed to verify my ss # and address but then said you will get a letter in 7 to 10 days with a card or a denial. **bleep**?!
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So,  i'm concluding that these guys at TD bank Are not very sharp and not at par with the big guys.

Message 18 of 19
NC84
Regular Contributor

I should of never applied for this stupid card. They gave me like 5 long checklist of reasons in my letter why I was not approved. I am about to call Ally and tell them I want to close my 6 year old savings account now.. LoL

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.