Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost in the 700 club

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost in the 700 club

What credit card would be best for someone like me, that is fresh out of the rebuilding stage so I have a pretty thin file.
Right now I am an AU on hubbys cap one card
I have a low limit cap one and a secured card.

When is it time to take the training wheels off?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Almost in the 700 club

You have a decent TU score...if you don't have any baddies on that report, you might consider a Walmart card via GE.

Keep your utilization low, and that card will grow with you.  (and give you a free monthly update of your TU score!)

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

In the rebuilding forum it looked like you were planning to buy a home soon. If that is the case, DO NOT apply for any cards until you have closed and have the keys in your hand. Even then 660s are gonna be marginal for the better cards. If you can tough it out for 6 months of mortgage reporting, my guess is you will have more choices and much better limits when approved.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your on your way that's for sure.  I agree with the wal-mart card and I raise you a Credit Union rewards card.  Credit Unions are great at give out cards and in turn if your responsible then it's a great way of rebuilding your credit.  If you aren't a member of a CU then it's always another good reason to join one to build your credit up. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.
Yes I am in the process of getting a mortgage, so for now I know not to apply for credit. I have at least a few more months before I would even consider a new card.
I just want to know what are some of the better cards to go after, when its time to take my nice, new, shiny credit out for a spin.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.