Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Already a USAA member!

tag
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Already a USAA member!

I called USAA to become a member and found out I was already a member... for 12 years. I thought I was with them when I was in the military but didn't know I was still one.

The customer service rep was super nice. Got declined for the card but that's ok. I know where I stand now.

Thanks to everyone on the site for bringing USAA to my attention!!

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Already a USAA member!

USAA is a great bank to work with. We have always had the best auto rates from them too. Members can deposit from home as well.
Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

One way to groom a relationship with them if you're already set with your banking and insurance needs is to open a Roth IRA through them. Roths can double as a great break-glass-in-case-of-emergency savings vehicle, in that you can withdraw your contributions (not earnings) without penalty. But you can't turn around and replace it, so you have to think long and hard about doing this, because you'll lose that benefit of the growth of your retirement funds over long time.

My Roth is doing better than my regular retirement funds! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Same thing happend to me also. My uncle used to be in Navy and he enrolled me with USAA 27 years ago. I have been on their system for last 27 years. Since I am not in military they gave me option to open savings and checking accounts only. May be they will open other features later. I am not much bothered even though they did not give me full membership.
Message 4 of 9
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
Same thing happend to me also. My uncle used to be in Navy and he enrolled me with USAA 27 years ago. I have been on their system for last 27 years. Since I am not in military they gave me option to open savings and checking accounts only. May be they will open other features later. I am not much bothered even though they did not give me full membership.

Hmmm... that's disappointing and surprising to hear. The phrase that USAA agents have used before with me is that immediate family members (of those who were in USAA who served in the military) were eligible for full benefits. In my opinion, an uncle is just about as immediate a relationship as

child <--> parent

or

spouse <--> spouse
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 06-27-2009 09:28 PM
Message 5 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

He was my uncle and also father-in-law so it is an immeadiete reative. Come to think of I had an interview with Army in 1981, I am not sure why I never took the job with Army at that time. I should have taken the job that would have changed my life in a different direction,

@MojaveMoon wrote:
Hmmm... that's disappointing and surprising to hear. The phrase that USAA agents have used before with me is that immediate family members (of those who were in USAA who served in the military) were eligible for full benefits. In my opinion, an uncle is just about as immediate a relationship as

child <--> parent

or

spouse <--> spouse
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 06-27-2009 09:28 PM

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@musikklvr wrote:

I called USAA to become a member and found out I was already a member... for 12 years. I thought I was with them when I was in the military but didn't know I was still one.

The customer service rep was super nice. Got declined for the card but that's ok. I know where I stand now.

Thanks to everyone on the site for bringing USAA to my attention!!

Did youhave an insurance product when you were with them? Or simply a banking product?

My understanding is if you have an insurance product you are always considered a full member...I am curious if you only had a banking product when eligible for full membership and then your eligibility for full membership lapsed if you would be able to be a full member with insurance availability.

Message 7 of 9
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

I don't remember what I had with them. I probably had car insurance with them when I was in the military.

Message 8 of 9
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

That's exactly what I plan to do. That will be the first thing I get.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.