cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alright guys need help w/ Amex or I'm throwing in the towel.

tag
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Alright guys need help w/ Amex or I'm throwing in the towel.

Hi fico forum members,

As I previously stated I want to close my Delta Amex, so I opened the Amex BCE.  This seems simple enough, BUT originally I was going to simply PC from the Delta card to the BCE, but Amex informed me the terms of my card recently changed and only travel cards can now be PC'd within each other.  I WAS going to make a very big stink out of this, but I decided to take the hp (even though it was unnecessary, and I wanted to keep my report clean).  Also it's because the rep told me I was preapproved for the BCE.

I decided to take the hp since Amex backdates, and this would not appear as a new TL on my report.  Also, I was told I could transfer the CL from the Delta Card, making my CL more favorable regardless.  I was approved, simple enough.  Fastforward to yesterday, I get the BCE and my APR was 21.9. Excuse my language but what the????

Does anyone know if calling the backdoor number would help to get the APR reduced? I'm done playing games with Amex at this point. If they make me jump hoops I'm thinking of going to cpfb because they changed the terms of my credit card agreement without notifying me in the first place. Sounds drastic, but I am technically studying right now and I don't the extra problems or head aches.  Thanks for any advice!

One more thing, when the rep looked at my account she said "wow your account is really good." (Referencing my history with them).  I usually made big purchases then PIF.  

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Alright guys need help w/ Amex or I'm throwing in the towel.

APR is based on your credit.  They don't just randomly hand them out.  AmEx generally doesn't recon unless there is incorrect info in your reports.  When was the last time you checked your reports?  What's your reported utillization like?

Message 2 of 33
keithB
Established Contributor

You are opening a new account - they look at your complete credit history, not just your history with them.  Also, you say you usually always "PIF(pay in full)" - so then why are you complaining?

Not trying to be a jerk but you seem to forget to mention other aspects of your credit worthiness - at least in this thread:  income, history (complete), utilization, credit/income ratio.  You say you are studying right now, does it pay well to be a student nowadays?  Maybe this could explain your higher APR?

Message 3 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@keithB wrote:

You are opening a new account - they look at your complete credit history, not just your history with them.  Also, you say you usually always "PIF(pay in full)" - so then why are you complaining?

Not trying to be a jerk but you seem to forget to mention other aspects of your credit worthiness - at least in this thread:  income, history (complete), utilization, credit/income ratio.  You say you are studying right now, does it pay well to be a student nowadays?  Maybe this could explain your higher APR?

You don't mean to be a jerk? Well you are. I am seeking advice, don't tell me what I can or cannot complain about- if you can't ask basic questions without snark, then feel free to contribute in a different conversation.

I have never had a card with such a high APR.  They said my experian fico was 715. No I'm not a student, I graduated and am taking the bar in a few weeks. 

Does anyone know whether the regular CSR's have the power to adjust the APR's or their supervisors?

Message 4 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

Hi fico forum members,

AThis seems simple enough, BUT originally I was going to simply PC from the Delta card to the BCE, but Amex informed me the terms of my card recently changed and only travel cards can now be PC'd within each other.  

Does anyone know if calling the backdoor number would help to get the APR reduced? I'm done playing games with Amex at this point. If they make me jump hoops I'm thinking of going to cpfb because they changed the terms of my credit card agreement without notifying me in the first place. Sounds drastic, but I am technically studying right now and I don't the extra problems or head aches.  Thanks for any advice!

I think the CSR (or you!) might be losing loose langugage here!   I don't know of any credit card agreement that lists PC rules for that card, it's always a matter of policy.  The agreement refers only to matters to do with that card (rights, responsibilities etc).   So my guess is that Amex adjusted some internal rules (if indeed they did) and nothing in your card agreement changed, with or without notification.   Basically, there is no right to PC.

Message 5 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hi fico forum members,

AThis seems simple enough, BUT originally I was going to simply PC from the Delta card to the BCE, but Amex informed me the terms of my card recently changed and only travel cards can now be PC'd within each other.  

I think the CSR (or you!) might be losing loose langugage here!   I don't know of any credit card agreement that lists PC rules for that card, it's always a matter of policy.  The agreement refers only to matters to do with that card (rights, responsibilities etc).   So my guess is that Amex adjusted some internal rules (if indeed they did) and nothing in your card agreement changed, with or without notification.   Basically, there is no right to PC.

I quoted the exact language of the CSR and her subsequent supervisor.  They stated the terms of the travel card had changed, and just went into the effect the week I tried to PC.

Message 6 of 33
keithB
Established Contributor

@keithB wrote:

You don't mean to be a jerk? Well you are. I am seeking advice, don't tell me what I can or cannot complain about- if you can't ask basic questions without snark, then feel free to contribute in a different conversation.

I have never had a card with such a high APR.  They said my experian fico was 715. No I'm not a student, I graduated and am taking the bar in a few weeks. 

Does anyone know whether the regular CSR's have the power to adjust the APR's or their supervisors?

Hmm, well I would suggest getting the bar out of the way, get a job, then apply for credit - it might help you get more favorable terms.  Just saying.

Message 7 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@keithB wrote:

Hmm, well I would suggest getting the bar out of the way, get a job, then apply for credit - it might help you get more favorable terms.  Just saying.

I have a job, I have credit, specifically with Amex among others- with much better terms and a better score than when I applied last year.

Message 8 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hi fico forum members,

I quoted the exact language of the CSR and her subsequent supervisor.  They stated the terms of the travel card had changed, and just went into the effect the week I tried to PC.

Right, and I think that was at best informal use.  Do you have the original agreement for your travel card?  Does it say somewhere that this card can be transformed into another Amex product (with perhaps a list)?   What was amended?

Message 9 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hi fico forum members,

Right, and I think that was at best informal use.  Do you have the original agreement for your travel card?  Does it say somewhere that this card can be transformed into another Amex product (with perhaps a list)?   What was amended?

I do have it, I just have to find it.  It may be filed somewhere with my documents. I had the same attitude as you.  I stated if the terms changed then why wasn't I notified, and why didn't I consent?

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.