cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am. Ex. CLOSED account w/168,000 after 19 years! Need to REOPEN Acct. Please Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am. Ex. CLOSED account w/168,000 after 19 years! Need to REOPEN Acct. Please Help

I am looking for your informed advice.

I have an American Express card since 1993.  

I have Never ever been late with payments.

3 months ago, because of my high student debt from law school,

Am. Ex. removed my "pay by time" privileges.

That required me to pay the balance in full for the next month.

I accidently paid the previous balance in full and was unable to pay the upcoming NEW balance in full which was $13,000 for a small business I started.

So, for 90 days, I made nominal payments.

Finally, 20 days ago, upon my return from overseas class,

I see a letter were they closed my account.

I was able to get a loan of $13,000 (balance in full) from a family member and I tired speaking to American Express today

to pay in full and ask them to REOPEN my account but they will not speak with me.  They want me to speak directly with the collection agency.

I had 168,000 points on my account.

Does anyone know with whom I make speak with at Am. Ex. to pay balance in full and to restore my same credit card and 168,000 points?

Please advise!! 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Am. Ex. CLOSED account w/168,000 after 19 years! Need to REOPEN Acct. Please Help

most companies rarely reopen accounts,but not sure about amex good luck though, but always remember Amex shows it's roots from a CHARGE card company even in their revolver lines. They do NOT like money carried over month to month over 3 months =\

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Am. Ex. CLOSED account w/168,000 after 19 years! Need to REOPEN Acct. Please Help

First, terrible idea to put business spending on personal card. AMEX frowns on that. Usually AMEX will hit you with FR right after that.

To your question, AMEX rarely reopen account. I'm pretty sure MR points are lost the moment you did something bad (like not pay in full). Be advised AMEX will charge $25 should they decide to reopen your account.

At this point, it sounds like the debt is already on the hands of collection agency. Which means legally AMEX is no longer the debt holder but collection agency is. You will have to pay the collection agency. Preferably asking them for pay for deletion and sending a notice to AMEX acknowledge the debt is paid. From there AMEX may or may not let you in again.

Message 3 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

You said they removed your "pay over time" privileges, but you still decided to not pay it off in full by the due date. I do not think it is any surprise that they closed the account since it was late, even if you were making payments. They most likely will not open the account and if an account is closed in bad standind, which yours was, the rewards are forfeited.

Message 4 of 18
dude11
Regular Contributor

You could try speaking to collections and pay it in full. They may reopen it for you afterwards but I think you have to do it within 30 days of it closing if I'm not mistaken. When my Amex Blue was closed I believe it was in 08 they did offer to reopen but it had to be paid back in full and within 30 days of closing.

If it is passed 30 days then I think you are screwed. However, if you pay them back and can get back in in the future you should get backdated to 93! As long as they don't change their policy on backdating either if ever.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the three years I have followed these boards, I have yet to see Amex reopen an account. Amex is very fast about "writing off" accounts that do not pay vs. other companies who you can call and arrange payments. If they won't talk to you, I think your MR points are gone for good.

Message 6 of 18
djrez4
Established Contributor

Amex Exec line number PMed to you.  Ask for Executive Customer Service.  No promises, but if anyone will listen and have the ability to do something, they will.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!

Wow... things appear to have worked out somehow...

I called the Responsible Landing Action Department.

Spoke to the nicest lady.

Advised me that I have 24 MONTHS to keep points but only after my account is in good standing.

Was not able in her department to accept payment.

I tried to pay online as I successfully did ($687.62) 10 days ago.

This time, the online would not accept my payment.

FORTUNATELY, I was able to have an agent on the phone from Membership Rewards Depart accept my payment IN FULL without having to 

go through the outside credit agency.

After my payment posts (Tuesday or Wednesday) I can call back to redeem points and reapply for a new card (Green Card).

So overall, things worked out well IT APPEARS.  

It's not over until it's over.

Albeit, I am amazed all each of your responses.... thank you for your HELP!

God Bless!

Message 8 of 18
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Finally some good news

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

when my amex sent me a letter explaining that they were doing away with the "pay over time" option, they continued to bill me as normal. I was never asked to pay that "pay overtime" balance in full. interesting. perhaps its done on an individual basis. what I didn't understand was why they canceled that program. when I called to see if I had done something incorrectly, they didn't really have a reason for discontinuing the program.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.