Am I Making a Bad Decision?

tag
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I Making a Bad Decision?

@09Lexie wrote:
@GatorGuy

Yep..he added 5 new TLs. It fell hard

I added 5 myself. Just goes to show you that having a thicker file obviously helps.

Message 21 of 23
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Well really these accounts I'm wanting to close are only a few months older than my BCE and Freedom so I'm really not losing much AAoA even if they dropped now I suppose.

That's not the point, actually.

What will matter more is how many old-ish accounts you have when these fall off and how many new ones you open then.

I've destroyed my AAoA the last two years, especially compared to what it could have been has I not closed cards in the 1980s and 1990s.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 22 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

@eagles08 wrote:
Well really these accounts I'm wanting to close are only a few months older than my BCE and Freedom so I'm really not losing much AAoA even if they dropped now I suppose.

That's not the point, actually.

What will matter more is how many old-ish accounts you have when these fall off and how many new ones you open then.

I've destroyed my AAoA the last two years, especially compared to what it could have been has I not closed cards in the 1980s and 1990s.

Yes, but at a certain point AAoA really doesn't matter much, you will be done apping and have the cards you want.  Yes, things can go bad, so the picture ~10 years down the road could be bad and you wish you had kept those cards.  But, maybe if you had kept the cards, you would have had a horrible identity theft situation on one of them that you just couldn't get fixed and ....

So, personal preference again!

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.