Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I clear with Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I clear with Amex?

Yeah definitely off the blacklist. Not sure what your score is but get it at least mid 600s. Upper 600s even better but a friend just got an Amex with a 640 after paying Amex back.
Message 11 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah definitely off the blacklist. Not sure what your score is but get it at least mid 600s. Upper 600s even better but a friend just got an Amex with a 640 after paying Amex back.

+1

Also, Amex also uses their own internal scoring system to help determine the approval process. Charge cards are easier to get approval.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX is currently 614 and expecting a bump once they update a removed colection and lower util ratios. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 13 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NOPE!

Plus an old rule of thumb. Paying an old charged off account unless it is pay for delete, will update the delinquency on your bureaus. NEVER DO IT. It was already 10 years old.

Plus your scores are low, upper 600's best bet for Am Ex approvals.700+ Ex for better limits.

I would give up on Am Ex, raise your scores 50 points, and try the co-branded Am Ex route.

I paid it just in case I would decide to get an Amex down the road. I made sure it wasnt going to show up on my report once I paid it. Thanks for the info!

It can't.   You're definitely past the date of exclusion.   For such a low amount, I think paying off the CO was a wise decision.   Most likely, the denial is due to your overall profile and not a blacklist.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

EX is currently 614 and expecting a bump once they update a removed colection and lower util ratios. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep...it's your overall credit profile.   Get UTIL way down, since AMEX is favorable toward low UTIL.   Hopefully the collection leaving your CRs will result in a significant score boost, too.   You'll want to aim for high 600s for AMEX consideration.  Good luck!   Sounds like you're on the way!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 15 of 19
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

oh yea...your EX is WAY too low for approval. But you did the right thing by paying it!  If it were me...I would try to squeak out an approval of that app by contacting the EO.. I can PM the info if needed!! you never know!!!  Also recon a denial, even if you or anyone else thinks you dont have a chance!  you may not, but you never know!! Smiley Happy  

Message 16 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You did the right thing paying it if you want a good shot of getting in with Amex.   It is your score that isn't letting you back in at this point as others have stated once you are closer to 650-670ish I think you will have a good shot.   The charge-off might be off your CR, but Amex still has it in their computer systems, so getting back with Amex as stated you did the right thing by paying what you owed them and they realize this.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

You did the right thing paying it if you want a good shot of getting in with Amex.   It is your score that isn't letting you back in at this point as others have stated once you are closer to 650-670ish I think you will have a good shot.   The charge-off might be off your CR, but Amex still has it in their computer systems, so getting back with Amex as stated you did the right thing by paying what you owed them and they realize this.

You are absolutely right. I figured might as wel pay it and get it out of the way. I'll work on my score and should be good to go by next year as I am in no hurry to apply for a card anytime soon. Thanks. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I never thought about that. That would be great if you could send me that info. Pizza on me upon approval lol

oh yea...your EX is WAY too low for approval. But you did the right thing by paying it!  If it were me...I would try to squeak out an approval of that app by contacting the EO.. I can PM the info if needed!! you never know!!!  Also recon a denial, even if you or anyone else thinks you dont have a chance!  you may not, but you never know!! Smiley Happy  

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.