Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I clear with Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I clear with Amex?

I had an old charged off account with Amex from 2005 or so. I paid them back few months ago for full amount...$240 or so. I applied for their business credit and was denied. They pulled my EX. I've read somewhere here if you are blacklisted with Amex and you get denied, your credit will not get pulled. So...am I good to go with Amex as we speak? I am not planning to app with them at least until second half of 2016. Thanks guys Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I clear with Amex?

they hold long grudges
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

NOPE!

Plus an old rule of thumb. Paying an old charged off account unless it is pay for delete, will update the delinquency on your bureaus. NEVER DO IT. It was already 10 years old.

Plus your scores are low, upper 600's best bet for Am Ex approvals.700+ Ex for better limits.

I would give up on Am Ex, raise your scores 50 points, and try the co-branded Am Ex route.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

NOPE!

Plus an old rule of thumb. Paying an old charged off account unless it is pay for delete, will update the delinquency on your bureaus. NEVER DO IT. It was already 10 years old.

Plus your scores are low, upper 600's best bet for Am Ex approvals.700+ Ex for better limits.

I would give up on Am Ex, raise your scores 50 points, and try the co-branded Am Ex route.

I paid it just in case I would decide to get an Amex down the road. I made sure it wasnt going to show up on my report once I paid it. Thanks for the info!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that is the case a 10 year old account shouldn't be on your bureaus anyway unless several collection agencies passed it along.

Hang in there. You can work around this with co branded cards. Just fine tune your bureaus. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If that is the case a 10 year old account shouldn't be on your bureaus anyway unless several collection agencies passed it along.

Hang in there. You can work around this with co branded cards. Just fine tune your bureaus. 

Will do. You're right..co-branded is way to ago. Thanks again chief

Message 6 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NOPE!

Te question wasn't "will I get approved?".  The question was "am I off their blacklist?".  If they're bothering to pull then the OP is probably off the blacklist.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, since you paid in full, you should be able to get a card soon as your credit profile supports it.

I had an 8k charge off that I paid in full this summer. I was approved for a PRG a little over a month after payment.

Good luck!
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
OP, since you paid in full, you should be able to get a card soon as your credit profile supports it.

I had an 8k charge off that I paid in full this summer. I was approved for a PRG a little over a month after payment.

Good luck!

Thanks. That's what I was wanting to know!

Message 9 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NOPE!

If the OC still owns the debt chances are they are reporting monthly which will supress your score. When you pay them they report it as zero and stop monthly reporting, so in the case of paying a CO when the OC still owns it, it does help when you pay them.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.