Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing it wrong?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I doing it wrong?

I always pay my credit card balance in full the day the charge posts to the card.  This is causing my credit cards to always report a zero balance.  Is this the most effective way to manage my accounts if I'm looking to maximize my overall credit scores?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

There are probably a few points to be gained by having zeros on all your accounts, though reporting something ( allowing a statement to cut with a balance ) may eventually help your score also.

The problem with always having zeros on all accounts is, once one of those cards reports a balance, you will get a short term reduction in your FICO score because it is "taking on new debt". The score will recover as the calculation gets used to having a balance on that card.

If you are relatively new to the credit world, and (as it seems) you have no negatives in your file, then the best way to improve your score is just to not miss any payments. Month after month for years of No Missed Payments is the single most effective way to get the best score possible.

There's nothing wrong with paying as soon as charges are on your account, because you will never have a late payment in that case. As to building a comfort level with lenders that you are able to borrow money, to have balances on your account, and pay them off (PIF after the statement is fine), pre-paying everything may not help in that regard. Letting statements show balances of normal amounts of spend and paying those within terms, over the long run, can help with future apps with other CCC.

Just never miss a payment and the FICO score will take care of itself in a good way Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 8
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I always pay my credit card balance in full the day the charge posts to the card.  This is causing my credit cards to always report a zero balance.  Is this the most effective way to manage my accounts if I'm looking to maximize my overall credit scores?

I did it all the time before coming to this forum Smiley Very Happy
In my case whenever all my accounts report a zero balance, my scores drop by about 15 points. So you may want to leave a balance of $1 on a single card to report for optimal scores. 

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aarvard wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did it all the time before coming to this forum Smiley Very Happy
In my case whenever all my accounts report a zero balance, my scores drop by about 15 points. So you may want to leave to a balance of $1 on a single card to report for optimal scores. 

+1 I usually have a small amount report each month but this month had zero balance and my scores dropped around 15 points.

Message 5 of 8
Kenro
Regular Contributor

I havent been micro-managing my reported balances and I am doing Ok.

Message 6 of 8
kjel
Established Contributor

If all my cards report zero, I lose about 10-15 points. If I let between 1-3% report that gives me the best consistent score.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kjel wrote:
If all my cards report zero, I lose about 10-15 points. If I let between 1-3% report that gives me the best consistent score.

good to know!  Thanks for the tip kjel.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.