Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing this right?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Am I doing this right?

I am not planning on app'ing or looking for cli's for 7 months right now. I have taken advantage of a few 0% interest deals. I have a balance running on 3 cards.....

Citi 5566.00  out of 8000.00

Home Depot  125.00 out of 3000.00

Sams Discover  1225.00 out of 7500.00

The rest of my cards are at a 0 balance and my available credit total is alittle over 72k. That makes my utility 9.5% overall and I am ok with that.

I am not concerned about Home Depot or Sams but I wonder if I did my Citi card the right way. As it stands, the utilization on that one is around 70%. I put all my balance transfers on that card because I thought one card would be better than splitting it between 2 (balance transfer cards). I just got an offer from FNBO for a 12 month 0% interest on balance transfers. Should I split the balance between 2 cards? Or keep it how it is? I will be paying more that minimum each month. What is worse score wise? 4 cards running balances or 1 card at 70%.

Also, how often does Citi do cli's? I would like an increase to help with the utilization but I got one back in May.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Am I doing this right?

How much will still be on your Citi card in 7 months? If your util on that card will be down below 30% in 7 months then I don't see any need to app for a new balance transfer card.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 19
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

I have a Home Depot card, a Tractor Supply card and an Exxon/Mobile card, all Citi issued. I asked for a CLI on My Home Depot at the 9 month mark and was granted an additional $700 from $1400 to $2100.

Message 3 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

The FICO formula takes into account both overall utilization and individual revolving utilization.

In other words, it will ding you for your overall utilization being too high and it will ding you for any cards that are individually too high.

Ideally, you want to keep both utilization levels below 10%, and to maximize below 3%. IMO the high utilization on the Citi line is hurting your score.

Citi reviews preiodically for CLIs, but they aren't particularly generous with them. You can always request a CLI from the website. AFAIK it uses their most recent SP to determine whether you qualify.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@atarvuzdar wrote:

How much will still be on your Citi card in 7 months? If your util on that card will be down below 30% in 7 months then I don't see any need to app for a new balance transfer card.

My citi card will be lower by at least 2k by then but I don't think that will get me below 30%. I don't have to app for a balance transfer card because I already have a 0% balance transfer offer on my FNBO Amex card. That card is at a 0 balance right now.  Both cards are around the same credit limit and I could split the amount to about 2800.00 each which would put them at about 32% each. So I'm curious if it would all come out the same score wise. Then I would be running a balance on 4 cards instead of 3  Cat Frustrated

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

The FICO formula takes into account both overall utilization and individual revolving utilization.

In other words, it will ding you for your overall utilization being too high and it will ding you for any cards that are individually too high.

Ideally, you want to keep both utilization levels below 10%, and to maximize below 3%. IMO the high utilization on the Citi line is hurting your score.

Citi reviews preiodically for CLIs, but they aren't particularly generous with them. You can always request a CLI from the website. AFAIK it uses their most recent SP to determine whether you qualify.

I called them about a cli this morning and they could not do it since I just had one back in May. There was no sp or hp.

So if my overall utilization is 10% across the board, that is ok. But the 70% is hurtful on the one card? Do you suggest me transfering half the balance to my other balance transfer card that is now sitting at 0? Does it not make a difference if I have balances on 3 or 4 cards?

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 6 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

I called them about a cli this morning and they could not do it since I just had one back in May. There was no sp or hp.

So if my overall utilization is 10% across the board, that is ok. But the 70% is hurtful on the one card? Do you suggest me transfering half the balance to my other balance transfer card that is now sitting at 0? Does it not make a difference if I have balances on 3 or 4 cards?

Ideally, pay the balances down instead of shuffling the debt around, but if that is not an option, I would transfer some of that Citi balance elsewhere. I'm not sure how much it will help unless you can get Citi below 30% without loading another card up above that point, but 70% utilization on that one card is definitely hurting your score.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 7 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

Ideally, pay the balances down instead of shuffling the debt around, but if that is not an option, I would transfer some of that Citi balance elsewhere. I'm not sure how much it will help unless you can get Citi below 30% without loading another card up above that point, but 70% utilization on that one card is definitely hurting your score.

Paying it down that much is not an option right now. If I transfer half to my other card, it will put both of those cards at being at 32% and 35%. They will reach under 30% alot faster that way. Since I'm not apping anytime soon I know my score does not matter as much but it matters to me and will bother me if it takes a dive. Cat Tongue

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

Sounds like a plan. I would make the transfer and focus on paying them both down below 30% as quickly as possible if you want to maximize your score. That said, your scores are already in good territory, so I wouldn't obsess about it.

Message 9 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Sounds like a plan. I would make the transfer and focus on paying them both down below 30% as quickly as possible if you want to maximize your score. That said, your scores are already in good territory, so I wouldn't obsess about it.

Thanks for your help....I feel like I am getting somewhere Cat Very Happy  I think what I will do it move 3166 to my FNBO account which will put it at 37% and keep 2400 on the Citi card which will put it at 30%. I will concentrate more on getting FNBO down to 30%. So my other question is, since I will then have 4 cards reporting a balance instead of 3, will that hurt my credit in any way? I don't know where there comes in on the FICO scale.

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.