Am I good to garden now?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I good to garden now?

Thanks!

I'm thinking March of next year I add:

PSECU Visa (will move some money there)

Maybe, only to take advantage of the 1981 backdating, Blue Cash or Clear.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

CU's can be great for getting a high CL card, but otherwise, they don't do anything specific for your FICO scores.

It looks like you've come up with some sort of rewards card for just about everything you do, so now it's time to start making money off your credit. Great job!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

CU are great for diversity too.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 13 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@score_building wrote:

CU are great for diversity too.

That too.

I * puffy heart * CU cards for many, many reasons, not the least of which is that they are generally not clinically insane. I just wanted to clarify that there isn't a checkbox on a FICO score list giving you brownie points for having a CU card. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

Well, my Dad is a veteran of the Air Force.  Any suggestions on a good CU that can help me get into, or is PSECU's product any good?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 15 of 19
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

This whole time I refereed the term "gardening" as cutting bad credit cards away.

Now I comprehend the word....I feel so ignorant haha...

Gardening = Letting the card grow within time Right ?!?!  I belong in the newbie section Smiley Very Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 16 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

I guess that could be weeding out the bad cards and baddies, but I think its more of letting current accounts "grow".

Message 17 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's a little of both. It's the switch from hunting to gardening. So you go putter around, making sure that you're watering and fertilizing and keeping an eye on everything, and maybe occasionally yanking out what you had thought would be a nice flower but turned out to be a weed! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 19
Cory
Established Contributor

So cards are better off being thrown in the garden!Smiley Happy Not worth being in the house.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.