cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I likely to get approved for a Barclay Rewards credit card? Currently a student. My scores within

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I likely to get approved for a Barclay Rewards credit card? Currently a student. My scores within

TransUnion: 720
Updated: May 28, 2017 from CreditKarma

VantageScore 3.0

Equifax: 712

Updated: May 28, 2017 from CreditKarma

VantageScore 3.0

Experian: 672

Updated: April 29, 2017 from Wells Fargo

FICO Bankcard Score 2

---------

I'm an engineering college student and have just started an internship for the summer, I'd like to purchase a laptop in order to be able to work on my own projects for my portfolio/resume.

That aside, I'm quite confused about all these different scoring models and companies that provide them.

I'd like to apply for a Barclays Rewards credit card through Apple but since I was denied once before, a year ago, I'm a bit scared to try again.

What score does Barclays look at to figure out if I should get approved or not? I take it Vantage isn't the one they look at since it's free and seems to be overall higher than my FICO score from Wells Fargo?

Any advice is welcome, thanks for your time.

24 REPLIES 24
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I likely to get approved for a Barclay Rewards credit card? Currently a student. My scores wi

Hey Edgar and Welcome to myFico forum!
Barclays uses Transunion Fico 8 Model almost all of the time as far as I know. Upwards of 620 should get you in without a hitch as long as no recent derog or too much Inqs though. When you app and get approved be careful though as they are like a very jealous partner that will kick you out by the curb and shut you down if they review you after a month or so with many new opened accts.
If you have a Discover, BofA or any Synchrony card, they give acct holders free FICO8.
Best of Luck in your endeavors!
Don't forget to post back your results. Smiley Happy
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I likely to get approved for a Barclay Rewards credit card? Currently a student. My scores wi

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm assuming my FICO 8 is going to be around 680-700 given that my Vantage scores are in the 715+'s, so I guess I should be ok. I havent had any new inquiries in more than a year and ive actually had 2 hard inquiries drop earlier this month as well as having a credit card that had 75% utilization removed from my report since I was listed as an authorized user. I had the card owner (family member) remove me from the account since I have never used that card myself. This sets me at about 10% credit utilization if I'm not mistaken. No late payments at all other than a single one 5 years ago for an auto loan.

I have a Synchrony credit card (CareCredit) but it doesn't give me the option to get a free FICO8 score anywhere. Maybe it's only for select Synchrony cards.

I gave you Kudos, thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last month I had Vantage Scores of 696 and my real FICO0 scores were 570-590 and was declined.

Throw away Vantage Scores always.  They are useless.  Go to CreditCheckTotal, pay $1 for a 10 day trial and get real FICO08 scores, then cancel the free trial.

Message 4 of 25
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm assuming my FICO 8 is going to be around 680-700 given that my Vantage scores are in the 715+'s, so I guess I should be ok. I havent had any new inquiries in more than a year and ive actually had 2 hard inquiries drop earlier this month as well as having a credit card that had 75% utilization removed from my report since I was listed as an authorized user. I had the card owner (family member) remove me from the account since I have never used that card myself. This sets me at about 10% credit utilization if I'm not mistaken. No late payments at all other than a single one 5 years ago for an auto loan.

I have a Synchrony credit card (CareCredit) but it doesn't give me the option to get a free FICO8 score anywhere. Maybe it's only for select Synchrony cards.

I gave you Kudos, thank you for your help.

As mentioned, never trust a Vantage score unless you know that is the score being used for approval (99.9999% of the time, it will NOT be a Vantage score they look at).  My Vantage scores arebout about 60 points BELOW my FICO 08 scores.

If you don't have access to free FICO 08 scores through and of you existing accounts, you can always do a one time 3 bureau report here, or a $1 one week trial at CCT.

You can get your Experian FICO 08 for free from Discover, even if you are not a cardholder...   Check out creditscorecard.com (or Google "discover scorecard".

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vantage scores aren't really used when judging your reports by lenders. Along with the CreditCheckTotal trial, give creditscorecard.com a shot. It's a service provided by Discover that gives your EX score for free once a month. Discover/BOA/Barclays will give you TU and Citi will give you EQ.

I can't speak much on Barclays, but have you considered trying for a card with 0% purchase APR for 12-18 months instead? You could finance your laptop the same way and still give yourself some wiggle room. Usually with store financing cards, they'll break up your payments monthly, but should use miss any month or the last month shows late by some mishappenstance (like a delay in it being posted), your entire original purchase could be slapped with a high, store APR (like 23.99%+). That might be something to consider. 

Discover is offering 14 months 0% APR and likes thin files/college students, so you have a pretty good shot of approval. If this is your first card, they may only give you 500, which isn't enough for your laptop, so, it might be better to try and gain some experience first with a card issued by your banking institution for six months-1 year before applying. Best of luck from a fellow college student. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, so I signed up for Discover Credit Scorecard, here's the details:

738 FICO from Experian (I'm assuming it's FICO 8, it doesnt say).

Shows 14 total accounts, 9 years length of credit, 2 inquiries, 4% revolving utilization, 0 missed payments.

The Transunion FICO score that Barclay pulls should be around the same as this one right?

I guess I can sign up for CCT just to be sure.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally have never had all 3 credit report FICO08 scores identical, ever.  Sometimes they were close, sometimes they were off by as much as 50 points.

CCT is $1.  You can cancel your free trial an hour after you set it up.  Pulling CCT free trial before a major credit application is worth $1.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright I'm back lol

CCT says the following:

Experian: 738

Transunion 749

Equifax: 721

The odd thing is that Transunion reflects the most recent credit card that I got removed from my account. The others don't reflect this and still show me as having $7,000.00 additional debt. I guess it's fine though since Barclay will only check Transunion.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your inquiries aren't too crazy, at that score you should get a Barclay's approval.  Please do post here approved or denied when you pull the trigger (and if you want to share the data elsewhere, check out my creditpulls link in my signature!)

Good luck!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.