Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing any cards?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Am I missing any cards?

I have a few inquiries to burn before I freeze my reports again, but honestly can't think of what I want to apply for. I have pretty much all of the cards I really wanted. Some of the cards I was denied for a few years ago now aren't as important (For example, was upset I didn't get a Citi Forward - now I have a CSP). Chase, Amex, Bank of America, and GE have been extremely generous with limits, so I also don't want to open a card just to get a high limit (honestly, that's the reason for all my GE cards). Anyways, cards I have, that I remember off the top of my head, are listed as follows:

• Amex Zync
  • Amex BCP
  • Amex Hilton HHonors
  • Chase Freedom
  • Chase CSP
  • Chase Marriot Premier
  • Bank of America Travel Rewards
  • Bank of America Cash Rewards
  • Discover IT
  • US Bank Flex Perks
  • Barclays NFL
  • Paypal MC
  • Walmart Discover
  • TJ Maxx MC
  • Several store cards (Macy's, JCP, etc)

Any suggestions on what to apply for? I would love another metal card, but I believe the only two with reasonable (<$150) AFs are the two I have. In a few months my credit report will be frozen for two years (preparing for a mortgage). I would hate to spend those two years not developing a relationship with a new bank (From my experience, some banks take great care of their customers - like Chase increasing my CL by $3K this morning without me requesting). I also enjoy collecting credit cards (you could call it a hobby), so I'd love to add some new ones to my collection.

Long story short: I have the above cards, want to apply for a new one before I freeze my CRs, which card(s) to apply for?

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I DO have a PenFed membership, but highly doubt I'll get approved for any of their products as I'm still in my early 20s (short credit history, at least to them) and I've opened two or three new accounts in the past year. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Am I missing any cards?

As always, depends on what you want!   So there are some cards with large cash sign-up bonuses that you don't appear to have (Barclays Arrival), cards with other types of bonus such as the Citi AA Executive, you don't seem to have an Amex MR (rather than Zync's MRE) or Amex SPG cards, or good balance transfer cards (Slate, Simplicity) or any cards good for MS (Amex Blue Cash, Wells Fargo Rewards, TD Bank Rewards) etc.

Presumably not all of these are interesting to you, so we need to know what is!

Message 2 of 5
NewSurrender
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

As always, depends on what you want!   So there are some cards with large cash sign-up bonuses that you don't appear to have (Barclays Arrival), cards with other types of bonus such as the Citi AA Executive, you don't seem to have an Amex MR (rather than Zync's MRE) or Amex SPG cards, or good balance transfer cards (Slate, Simplicity) or any cards good for MS (Amex Blue Cash, Wells Fargo Rewards, TD Bank Rewards) etc.

Good point, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the Barclays Arrival solely for the sign-up bonus. I checked out the Citi AA Executive, but I feel like I won't use the card enough to make up for the $495 AF. As far as balance transfer cards, that's not a bad suggestion but I don't ever plan on doing a balance transfer (Unless it's using a special offer to pay off a car loan/mortgage at a lower interest). BoA has been sending me BT offers for quite possibly over a year now. If worst came to worst and I had to do a balance transfer, I'm sure one of my cards would be able to provide a 0%/low APR offer. I already have a BCP for cash back, but didn't really like Wells Fargo or TD Bank's cards. 5% for 6 months and then normal 1%.

As far as what I'm looking for, mostly a card to fit a rewards niche currently unoccupied in my current lineup. Or, I'd consider an aesthetically pleasing card, as I'm vain and shallow like that. For example, even if CSP was a standard 1% card and didn't have anything extra (Like transferring UR points to partners), I'd probably still pay the AF just because I like having a card that I admire the beauty of everytime I swipe. 

Also, maybe a card that doesn't neccesarily have good rewards, but has other benefits that make it worth it? For example, the Marriot rewards card has an annual fee of $85, but I get a certificate for a free night at a category 1-6 hotel, which is usually worth MUCH more than $85. Any other examples of cards like that?

Message 3 of 5
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Exactly. If you travel at least once a year, hotel/airline cards would make sense for the signup bonuses. You don't have a banking relationship with Citi, so I would get one of the AAdvantage cards or another Hilton Smiley Happy

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 4 of 5
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I am sure you are well aware of the Chase Hyatt and IHG. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.