Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I prime card material?

tag
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Am I prime card material?

you may want to check out whogavemecredit.com to see what kind of ccs approve people w/your scores.  even if ba denies you, they may offer you the 99/500...yes, it's secured, but it will grow w/you and is a prime cc
Message 11 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ferferhess, I would also check out a local credit union. I would hold off on the big national CU's (PenFed, etc.) until you get your credit profile built up a bit more. But most CU's pull EQ, and your score is fine.

Do some water-cooler research at work to collect opinions on your local CU's. My area is chock-full of CU's, some with huge assets, and they're in a war currently for new members. Print out all three of the recent FICO score reports, and visit local CU's. Tell the lending officer that you aren't authorizing a hard pull of your credit yet, but ask him/her to look over your credit report and tell you what they think you would qualify for. CU's are great for people in your situation who are new to credit, or who have gone through some rough times but have shown responsible credit use since. Once you find one you like, cross your fingers, go ahead and join up, authorizing the hard (yes, they'll have to do this), and you should have a card with a decent limit.

Once you have some history with this card, you can apply with some of the national banks (BofA, Citi, etc.), and you'll be more competitive with them. HTH
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 20
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

In my mind WaMu = Providian and Providian = bottom feeding filth. If WaMu is approving lower scores and denying higher it is because they have computed, in their infinite wisdom, that those lower scores are more likely to carry balances and pay fat interest to them. They are not interested in pifer's. And don't make any missteps - it is a long drop off that cliff and there is now way back up! As I have stated elsewhere here, other that an AF WaMu will never, ever make one more cent off me!
Message 13 of 20
ferferhess
Regular Contributor

I got approved for an AMEX with a limit of $9,000!!!!!!
The hardest part is waiting!! I'm an instant gratification girl!!!
06/24/2008: TU 708, EQ 705, EX 712
06/09/2008: TU 699, EQ 688, EX 712
Message 14 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ferferhess wrote:
I got approved for an AMEX with a limit of $9,000!!!!!!

Well, that answered the question nicely! Smiley Very Happy

Many congratulations, and handle with kid gloves, as I'm sure you know. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 20
ferferhess
Regular Contributor

Yep, ALWAYS pif!!  My next question is I've heard that if you have had history with AMEX before that you can get them to add your old cc  history to your new card.  I have no clue how to ask for that ( i was a AU, so I'm not sure if I can ask).  Maybe you could help me with that Hauling!

Thanks to everyone on this forum!!  This is MY first "big girl" card!!!
Message 16 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'll need to defer to others on that. My guess is that since you were an AU and not the primary member, it's a no-go. But try to dig up the account number and give them a call. You just never know!
Message 17 of 20
ferferhess
Regular Contributor

I know, it's kind of a shot in the dark......but, the worst they can say is no!!!  Just not sure how to word it.  I don't want to blow my chances for saying the worg thing.  I there a word for that?
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

ferferhess wrote:
Yep, ALWAYS pif!!  My next question is I've heard that if you have had history with AMEX before that you can get them to add your old cc  history to your new card.  I have no clue how to ask for that ( i was a AU, so I'm not sure if I can ask).  Maybe you could help me with that Hauling!

Thanks to everyone on this forum!!  This is MY first "big girl" card!!!

Yes, this is standard for Amex reporting.  You shouldn't have to do anything to get your card to report this way as long as they have record of your old account.  It should just happen.

If it doesn't happen, then give them a call and ask them to give you credit for all the history you have with them.  Don't be shy about this, because you're not asking for a special favor from them.  They are more than willing to do this for anyone whose old accounts they have in their system.

Congrats on the new card!

Message 19 of 20
ferferhess
Regular Contributor

Thanks Cheddar!!!  I'll be doing that as soon as I get off work today!! (I luckily still have the Acct#!!)
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.