cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I safe applying for new credit cards?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Am I safe applying for new credit cards?

@credit-hunter wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@mohammadmoghimi wrote:

What is a prime card? Let me list what I have.

0. BofA Secure Card from Sep 2011 to Aug 2012 [CLOSED]

1. BofA Cash Rewards 5k

2. Chase Sapphire Pref 6.5k

3. Amex Blue Cash Everyday 5.5k

4. BofA Better Balance 2.5k

5. Chase Freedom 5k

6. Discover It 1.5k

Can someone explain what amex revolving is? I searched a little bit. It's a new concept to me? Do other banks offer it as well?

The reason for the Sony Card was the cash back. 200$ for 500$ spend in 3 months sounds incredible! Does the 3 pulls mean like 3 hard inquiries as if I applied for 3 different cards? I have heard people N credit inquiries in one month period act as only one. It shows one is shopping for loans or something. 

Welcome to the forum.  I noticed that you have an Amex revolver, have you asked for a CLI? Assuming you've had the account open for at least 61 days, you are eligible for a CLI of up to 3x.

Its amazing the help members get on this forum I'm glad I joined.

:

We are glad you did too. Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 33
CharlesSu
New Contributor

How could you get a CSP  within a year of your first application!!

I am so jealous!

I applied for CSP twice but both failed. 

Now I have 10 inquires since I got my SSN in June..........T_T

Citi Forward: 3K Banana Card: 3K Amex Gold Delta: 3K
Chase Freedom: 4.5K Chase Marriott Premier: 12K Chase Sapphire Preferred: 12K Chase United Explorer: 19K

Credit Score: 734(EX) 755(TU) as of March 2014
Message 22 of 33
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CharlesSu wrote:

How could you get a CSP  within a year of your first application!!

I am so jealous!

I applied for CSP twice but both failed. 

Now I have 10 inquires since I got my SSN in June..........T_T

But you also got that lovely $12K Marriott Premier not long ago... Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 33
mohammadmoghimi
Valued Member

Question about amex CLI: Why should I need a higher credit limit? And BTW Do the do a hard pull for CLI? Does a higher limit help my score?
Message 24 of 33
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mohammadmoghimi wrote:
Question about amex CLI: Why should I need a higher credit limit? And BTW Do the do a hard pull for CLI? Does a higher limit help my score?

it's in the system rather you take it or not so you my as well take it.

it's a SP always

it could help with overall util which could help with score.... can also help with future CL's and CLI's with other creditors that see you can handle higher lines with others.

Message 25 of 33
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@mohammadmoghimi wrote:

Hi,

I have a rather short credit history. My oldest open credit card is 1yr and 4m old. Before that I had a secure card which I closed after getting my first real card. Here is a history of my credit card opennings:

1. Aug 2012

2. Feb 2013

3. Jun 2013

4. October 2013

5. October 2013

6. November 2013

That means I have 6 credit cards. There might be an another hard inq regarding my apartment rental. I always pay my credit cards on time even in the middle of of the month if I make a large purchase. I generally don't need credit and I'm just playing around in the world of bonuses, points and miles. I'm not planning to get any kind of loan or mortgage in the future as I'm an international student in the US and I'm going to leave US in a few years.

Today I got my TU FICO score with my discover card which was 743. People say your score drops when you open new lines of credit, right? I don't know what is going on here. Am I safe for getting new credit cards? I'm thinking of Sony Card from Capital One. I recently opened a 360 account with them.

I have another credit card in mind which is Citi Prestige which I want to get in Spring for my international travel in Summer (their companion ticket worths the annual fee for me).  Should I not get any other credit card to let my credit history rest a little bit?

Welcome and congrats on your recent app success.

From my experience, Capital One has always used a FICO 04 Classic score and that version(s) seem to hurt ones with thin credit files a lot.

I too have a thin file and got deinied for the Sony card recently despite my Discover FICO score being in the 760s.

Denial letter said my EQ 04 score is 674.

However, our profiles are a little different. You don't seem to have an open loan and I do. You might have better luck than me with Cap1.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 26 of 33
mohammadmoghimi
Valued Member

Applied for CLI and got denied Smiley Sad I guess I was too ambitous!

Message 27 of 33
ptilda
Established Contributor

Recon?

You're defnitely on the right track! Congrats!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 28 of 33
mohammadmoghimi
Valued Member

Haha. I had missed one zero when I entered my income!! I request again online with the corrected income got denied again. Called them up and they updated my first application. Need to wait for 48hrs. Fingers' crossed Smiley Surprised 

Message 29 of 33
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

good luck on the CLI

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.