cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I suppose to sign the back of Blue??

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Am I suppose to sign the back of Blue??

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
Whatta you good peeps think of this?

My ex-gf showed me a different twist she puts on it and seems perfectly logical.

Although i yet to been asked for any ID when using credit cards, for security she writes on the back of all her credit cards with permanent black marker "SHOW ID"

I think your ex-gf should read the cardholder agreements.

Message 31 of 36
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Of course you're supposed to sign the back of ANY and ALL credit, debit, and ATM cards. Including those from AMEX, such as the Blue, Blue Cash, and Blue Sky. I sign in the small white strip on the back with a fine point sharpie.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 32 of 36
eirek1234

Agreed; Per the cardholder agreement, having an ID is not even a requirement of using a credit card and the merchant can have their processing rights revoked if they ask to see ID. Comparing signatures is what is allowed and per the terms, writing SEE ID is not an acceptable alternative to your signature.

Message 33 of 36
titanofold
Established Contributor

@eirek1234 wrote:

Agreed; Per the cardholder agreement, having an ID is not even a requirement of using a credit card and the merchant can have their processing rights revoked if they ask to see ID. Comparing signatures is what is allowed and per the terms, writing SEE ID is not an acceptable alternative to your signature.

No, the merchant can ask to see an ID. However, the merchant cannot make it a condition for use. In other words, a merchant may take advantage of another security measure to protect you against fraud, but can't deny the sale if you forgot your driver's license. The merchant must ensure the signatures match. When there's no signature to match...well, you're screwed.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 34 of 36
red259
Super Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

@eirek1234 wrote:

No, the merchant can ask to see an ID. However, the merchant cannot make it a condition for use. In other words, a merchant may take advantage of another security measure to protect you against fraud, but can't deny the sale if you forgot your driver's license. The merchant must ensure the signatures match. When there's no signature to match...well, you're screwed.

I remembered this thread from when I read it months ago. I just wanted to share I was buying something in Sephora a few weeks back and the cashier asked to see my card. I asked her why and she indicated it was because she is required to check the back of the card for a signature to be sure it matches. So it does happen once in awhile where cashiers will actually ask to see the signature on the card!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 35 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

No, the merchant can ask to see an ID. However, the merchant cannot make it a condition for use. 

This is true for Visa/MCs.

However, it isn't for Amex.  For example, Amex's agreement stipulates a cardmember can't be refused by simply not showing ID, unless it's the case with all other accepted forms of payment.  Since Visa/MC forbids anyone being refused on failure to show ID, Amex follows suit.

On the other hand, if the Merchant accepts only Amex, they can make it a condition for cardmembers to show ID before allowing the purchase.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.