cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I supposed to keep some balance on all my CCs or just one or two?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I supposed to keep some balance on all my CCs or just one or two?

Hey guys, I just recently paid off all my credit cards, and my score has done up 30+ points from Tran, Experian, and Equifax, and not all my credit cards have reported zero balance yet. I know that I'm suppose to use credit to keep my score up, but do I need to keep a balance on all my CCs or just one? Also, when you guys say to keep a balance on the cards, do I pay them off monthly and use it again, or should I leave like $5.00 on them? Sorry for the noob question, any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I supposed to keep some balance on all my CCs or just one or two?

kcman wrote:
Hey guys, I just recently paid off all my credit cards, and my score has done up 30+ points from Tran, Experian, and Equifax, and not all my credit cards have reported zero balance yet. I know that I'm suppose to use credit to keep my score up, but do I need to keep a balance on all my CCs or just one? Also, when you guys say to keep a balance on the cards, do I pay them off monthly and use it again, or should I leave like $5.00 on them? Sorry for the noob question, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Keep a balance on at least one or maybe two, until after your closing date.  Then PIF, if you wish, to avoid finance charges.  Do that every month. 
Message 2 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Keep a balance on at least one or maybe two, until after your closing date. Then PIF, if you wish, to avoid finance charges. Do that every month.

And if you have more than a couple of cards, remember that you probably need to use each one maybe twice a year to keep the credit card company happy. (You don't want them to get canceled for inactivity.)

I've read that if you have more than 5 or 6 cards, let only half or fewer report each month. Doesn't matter which ones. So if you have 7 cards, let three report, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the replies guys. I have five cards, and my intentions were to use a different card each week for gas. That way they all get some lovin Smiley Wink But the trick is to let it have a balance till right after the closing date, and then pay it off. Thanks guys.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an FYI, balances on all your cards at one time will ding your score a bit.  Try using one card for two weeks straight ongas and rotating like that and of course PIF
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep- I have 9 cards and my magic number is 3 or 4
If I have 5 I take a hit for "Accounts with balances"

1 Mortgage, 1 Auto, 2 SL, 3 or 4 CC = 7 or 8 AWB makes FICO happy for me.

@Anonymous wrote:
Just an FYI, balances on all your cards at one time will ding your score a bit. Try using one card for two weeks straight ongas and rotating like that and of course PIF

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm.....Timothy great food for thought. Haven't actually tried that approach yet. Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If nothing else, it ought to make things simpler. I have almost started to get my life back, now that I'm no longer trying to get 1-4% reporting on all revolving lines, every month. Putting more than $300 on the Amex helped me gain 4 pounds! Smiley Surprised

Unforeseen hazard of getting high limits on cards...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.