Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only one who dislikes my ZYNC?

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Am I the only one who dislikes my ZYNC?

I find that I never use this card, because I get better rewards with my other cards. Then for AMEX to charge a $25 AF to only get 1 point per dollar. I will be canceling this one before the AF hits in September. Anybody else feel the same?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who dislikes my ZYNC?

To each its own. I personally like it (I love the look and the NPSL feature). If one does the small business Saturday credit each year, the annual fee is paid off. To be honest, the Amex Zync was my way in getting my foot in the door with Amex. My main goal is to hopefully get a BCP next June or September. For alot of people, the Zync was a easy entrance into Amex with the lowest AF possible, but their main objective was to get a BCE or BCP down the line, if they saw their credit was not creditworthly for those cards.

The ZYNC was geared towards the yonger crown, those who less than perfect credit, and as a very easy entrace level into the Amex family (they were even offering $200 or $500 hard limits....that should tell you how desperate Amex was in getting this card a more widespread attention...but it didn't worked in the end).

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 2 of 53
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

when i apped for my zync it was the last card on my "list" i guess you would say. it was meant for me to get my backdate with amex and the 25 af was better then the other cards. 

first credit card opened 10-10-10 and my aaoa already dropped to under a year. going from 3 cards to 7

i have no problem using it since i treat it like a debit card. 

on my debit card at the time i got 10cents per swipe. 

so i just used my amex everywhere it was accepted. 

but personally rewards wise its almost useless. (too me)  i have about 2700 points sitting since aug 30th. and i have no idea what too use them for. 

but the look is good and i can say i have/had my first amex (turned 21 in july) and my parents dont have cards with histories since we came to the states in 96 and my mom bkd in 04' 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 53
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

when i apped for my zync it was the last card on my "list" i guess you would say. it was meant for me to get my backdate with amex and the 25 af was better then the other cards. 

first credit card opened 10-10-10 and my aaoa already dropped to under a year. going from 3 cards to 7

i have no problem using it since i treat it like a debit card. 

on my debit card at the time i got 10cents per swipe. 

so i just used my amex everywhere it was accepted. 

but personally rewards wise its almost useless. (too me)  i have about 2700 points sitting since aug 30th. and i have no idea what too use them for. 

but the look is good and i can say i have/had my first amex (turned 21 in july) and my parents dont have cards with histories since we came to the states in 96 and my mom bkd in 04' 

The reward structure of Amex Zync is basically useless unless you transfer them into gift cards (where you shop the most).  The only other possible redeeming possibilty will be through Amazon site if you are a book lover or buy most of your stuff in Amazon. Even though it's 0.70 cents per 1 point, Amazon still offer the lostest price on books compare to Barnesandnoble and the like. And they offer free shipping on alot of stuff.

On the other hand, the entire reward points system of Amex is useless unless you are a traveler (that's where their points really shine in their upper level charge cards).  I honestly perfer cash back because at least you have a clear idea how much you are going to get back. 

Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.

Message 4 of 53
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

When I first app'ed for the card, I was so excited that I got my first Amex, I used it everywhere, now it's in the sock drawer because it's hard to beat the rewards on my BankAmericard cash rewards, 3% on gas, and my local walmart counts as grocery so 2% there.  I was thinking of apping for BCE in Sep, then closing the ZYNC.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 5 of 53
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

im not trying to start a debate or anything but alot of people have said that they have been denied for another amex  due to a zync card. 

i actually well technically apped for a costco te when my mom and i opened our exec card and she took a pull but i didnt. she was denied due to zync being too new. (which at the time was like 3 weeks) but she also had high util and a bk reporting. 

i might apply for giggles next week for the te or a bce just too get my score.

my amex scores have been 715 (credit secure) for 3+ months but when i called they said they dont even use those scores..... okay lol 

the rep basically said the only way too know is to apply. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 53
Smug
Established Contributor

I also hated it I canceled it , You only have it less than a year. I'm really not impressed with American Express products I don't think I'll be getting another one.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 7 of 53
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

im not trying to start a debate or anything but alot of people have said that they have been denied for another amex  due to a zync card. 

i actually well technically apped for a costco te when my mom and i opened our exec card and she took a pull but i didnt. she was denied due to zync being too new. (which at the time was like 3 weeks) but she also had high util and a bk reporting. 

i might apply for giggles next week for the te or a bce just too get my score.

my amex scores have been 715 (credit secure) for 3+ months but when i called they said they dont even use those scores..... okay lol 

the rep basically said the only way too know is to apply. 

If my memory served me correctly, these people had a hard limit version of the Zync card. The rumor is that if you have a hard limit Zync, Amex will deny any future credit applications (but one posted awhile back that he/she got a BCP even with a hard limit Zync).

Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.

Message 8 of 53
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

I find that I never use this card, because I get better rewards with my other cards. Then for AMEX to charge a $25 AF to only get 1 point per dollar. I will be canceling this one before the AF hits in September. Anybody else feel the same?

The one thing i like about the zync is the color.  lol!

Message 9 of 53
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

The one thing i like about the zync is the color.  lol!

True lol, it does look pretty cool.

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.