cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only one who likes Credit One bank?

tag
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Am I the only one who likes Credit One bank?

Yes, there is a monthly fee and the interest rates are crazy but they are making my cap one cards just look sad. I started out with a $300 limit and now have $800 my cap one will be stuck at 500 until the next ice age. They have helped me build credit history and were the only one to say yes 2 + years ago when everyone was saying no. I have had no problem with them getting my payments no mysterious charges. Anyone else have a good story or bad? I am I nuts have all the plasic fumes from my cc got to me?  

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who likes Credit One bank?

The card does its job for those who cannot get a card. I had one also. But, once it has served its purpose, there is no need to pay the annual fee for that card. Not to mention they charge you like $20 to get a CLI.

You should contact the Capital One Executive Office and request a CLI on your card with them.

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 17

They serve a purpose. They extend credit to very risky borrowers and have to cover their exposure using fees and such. Now, some of their behavior is pretty shady, like calculating interest daily, only allowing 4 payments per month, blocking aggregation sites such as Mint, not allowing auto pay, not supporting eBill services..

They really want their cardholders to miss payments, pay late fees, etc.

Message 3 of 17
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

I have no problem with them.... one of the few subprime cards that will give you a CLI every six months.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 4 of 17
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

EO office for Cap one is on my calendar for next Jan I am using and abusing that card all year first. next Jan will be 3 years with card

Message 5 of 17
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@thepriceisright wrote:

They serve a purpose. They extend credit to very risky borrowers and have to cover their exposure using fees and such. Now, some of their behavior is pretty shady, like calculating interest daily, only allowing 4 payments per month, blocking aggregation sites such as Mint, not allowing auto pay, not supporting eBill services..

I concur! There's so many other subprime credit card products out there that are offered by less shady companies that aren't hoping their customers default so they can gouge them more.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 6 of 17
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

I find it interesting that everyone wants a Capital One credit card when you have to contact their EO office just to ask for a CLI....  is Capital One worth the hassle to have it in your wallet?!  I am not so sure.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 7 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I'd rather have a $500 capone than a $2k Credit One.  Paying a monthly fee for a credit card is just nuts.  For those recovering it's acceptable but once you can obtain something better ditch them ASAP.  

Message 8 of 17
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

you're mixing up the discussion which is about Credit One Bank, not capital One bank.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 9 of 17
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@thepriceisright wrote:

I concur! There's so many other subprime credit card products out there that are offered by less shady companies that aren't hoping their customers default so they can gouge them more.

This is exactly my problem with this company.  I posted about my recent 'pre approval" with tongue firmly in cheek, since it arrived in the same mail batch as other prime card offers.   This company does serve a purpose for rebuilding.  In some cases, i think it makes a cardholder be uber vigilent with their card, so as not to miss any payments and have to pay the higher fees etc. 

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.