tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEX cell phone payment reward?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to admit I'm a little bit confused as to why anyone wouldn't change their auto-pay for a few months to get this benefit. $30 back on $225 spend (plus the standard reward for that spend) is way better than any earning potential we all get excited about, not including spend bonuses on new cards of course.

It takes about 2 minutes to change what card is used for your auto-pay. After 3 months you spend another 2 minutes to change it back. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.

I happen to have this offer on my BCE. It almost makes me sad I switched to Sprint recently and only pay $55 per month. Almost. Smiley Happy

It's just a question of effort vs small gain.   There are lots of ways to gain  $7 ($10 vs 4% on $75) and while this may seem small effort, so is clipping coupons etc.   Just not worth it to me, in the same way I don't excited by the BBR card.  People have different thresholds!

3 things:

(1) Not everyone has a card that can do 4% at phone bill pay. So closer to 1.5% or 2%. At 2% = $1.50 per month on $75 bill.

(2) If you're gonna compare $10 vs 4%, then you should also look at the 1% most people will get on the $75 in addition to the $10 bonus = $10.75 per month.

(3) You can do this 3 times so it's closer to $28 in savings for most ($32.25 vs $4.50).

Ok, still not life changing amount but that's a lot of happy meals.

1) The question was why some people wouldn't bother.  So I gave an example as someone with such a 5% card.   Some don't have Amex cards.  Or, like me, the offer!

2) The cards pay 5% on phone bills (Cash Plus, various Inks) so my 4% was already taking the difference between 5 and 1%

3) Doing it 3 times is 3 times doing something I don't find worth doing!   So, doesn't change my opinion...

Again, the question was:

I have to admit I'm a little bit confused as to why anyone wouldn't change their auto-pay for a few months to get this benefit.

And I gave my reasons as a sample anyone.  Of course, some people find it worthwhile, and some get excited by the BBR.   Just a question of how much this is worth to you, compared to other things you could do in the same time.

Obviously if you don't have an Amex or the offer, then you can't get take advantage. I thought it was implied that when I said anyone I was only referring to the people who could add it to an Amex they already had. Sorry for not being more clear.

Thanks for the math, onstar. I was in the middle of doing it myself and then looked closer at this quoted exchange. Agreed that it's not life changing, but I'm looking to save every penny at the moment. It's kind of a fun game. I haven't gotten into coupons yet though. I'm not sure if I'm willing to go that far yet lol.

Message 41 of 50
onstar
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Again, the question was:

I have to admit I'm a little bit confused as to why anyone wouldn't change their auto-pay for a few months to get this benefit.

And I gave my reasons as a sample anyone.  Of course, some people find it worthwhile, and some get excited by the BBR.   Just a question of how much this is worth to you, compared to other things you could do in the same time.

Ah. Fair enough.

Personally, it's the concept of "BONUS FREE MONEY" that is intriguing. Yeah, we all get the 1%-5% cash/points/miles back on many purchases, but AmEx has these limited time offers that actually show up on the Statement as a credit, and that's exciting to me. I definitely get way more than $10 worth of enjoyment upon seeing these entries.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 42 of 50
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Almost a month old so sorry but if I get the offer under my green card, is that the one i have to use this on? Or can I use any Amex? Thanks.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 43 of 50
Ups77
Regular Contributor

I hope I get that offer my bill is 230$ a month.

Message 44 of 50
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Ups77 wrote:

I hope I get that offer my bill is 230$ a month.

Maybe certain cards or maybe just random. 

Message 45 of 50
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

Almost a month old so sorry but if I get the offer under my green card, is that the one i have to use this on? Or can I use any Amex? Thanks.

I believe you have to use that specific card because you have to add the offer to that card.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 46 of 50
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@GetTheFico wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

I believe you have to use that specific card because you have to add the offer to that card.

Thank you. It's a good offer, easy 30 bucksn plus one percent. 

Message 47 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

Not sure if the rules have changed, but when I had this offer, I simply added it (obviously, pick the higest rewards card), then prepaid $75 three times.  The 3X $10 credit just all posted at the same time.

No need to wait three months.  Just take care of it, and move on.

Message 48 of 50
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Not sure if the rules have changed, but when I had this offer, I simply added it (obviously, pick the higest rewards card), then prepaid $75 three times.  The 3X $10 credit just all posted at the same time.

Was thinking about doing the same. Prepaid 75 late last night so because it's the weekend, no credit posted yet. Once $10 post, I'll do a 2nd one and so forth. 

I did have another offer for Negegg, recently, and used a different card. For this card, it didn't matter..for Cell phone my Amex was just 1% reardless the card. 

Message 49 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Was thinking about doing the same. Prepaid 75 late last night so because it's the weekend, no credit posted yet. Once $10 post, I'll do a 2nd one and so forth. 

It'll post.  

Unless they've changed it (which I highly doubt), their system can't differentiate between auto-pay or when you initiate a payment from your cell's online payment.  I did mine all within 5 minutes.

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.