Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 180 day CLI

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

AmEx 180 day CLI

I'm trying to see if applying for a new card will affect my 180 day CLI from AmEx in July.

Right now, AmEx ($6,000) and CSP ($5,000) are my highest cards. UTL is at around 16%.

I'm trying to decide if I want the Citi Prestige, Ritz Carlton, or go for AmEx Platinum. I do travel very often so Im sure the benefits wold work for me considering the high annuals fees. But I'm no sure of Citi will take me with only 8 months of revolving credit history (2.5 hrs of total credit history), and I'm not sure that Ritz Lounge Access vs Priority Pass is going to be beneficial.

Advice on which card to get and if getting a new card will drastically affect my chances for 3x CLI?
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx 180 day CLI

@ray8806 wrote:
I'm trying to see if applying for a new card will affect my 180 day CLI from AmEx in July.

Right now, AmEx ($6,000) and CSP ($5,000) are my highest cards. UTL is at around 16%.

I'm trying to decide if I want the Citi Prestige, Ritz Carlton, or go for AmEx Platinum. I do travel very often so Im sure the benefits wold work for me considering the high annuals fees. But I'm no sure of Citi will take me with only 8 months of revolving credit history (2.5 hrs of total credit history), and I'm not sure that Ritz Lounge Access vs Priority Pass is going to be beneficial.

Advice on which card to get and if getting a new card will drastically affect my chances for 3x CLI?

No way can tell you which card to get. only you know what works best for you. But in any case to your original question about affect on 180 cli. unless you are going for 10 cards at a time. it will have a very minimal effect on your cli.

the last cli i got from amex. it was instant. and i had 4 cards between getting amex and going for cli. so no affect what so ever. i stopped. i even had balance on my amex. no affect. if you did not start at that low 1k or 500 limit on your amex . your are generally pretty good to go. so no need to worry. you will be fine. i now have 58 more days to go for my 3x cli at 180 days. hoping to break the 20k lmit barrier. Current limit at 10.5k. so taking it to 24.5k would be alright. it would be my last time bothering them. let other cards grow as well.

Message 2 of 7
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Yay!!! Thank you taxi818!!!

Anyone know how limited history sensitive Citi is? I'd like the prestige but not sure if I qualify. Other than that, I could probably figure out how to choose between AmEx Platinum and Ritz.
Message 3 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya I got about 15k in new credit and bought a 60k car and got what I requested on my 3x CLI, although I didn't ask for all of it I got 13k CLI and got what I asked for.. So if utilization is under control and showed them some love you are good

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex Platinum should not decrease your odds, if anything it will help or have no affect.

Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:

Getting the AX Platinum won't change the timing on any CLI wait period for your Delta card. The AX Platinum will align by providing MR points that can combine with your existing Delta SkyMiles, and the lounge access on AX Platinum will add to the Delta access (limited though it is with Gold). The AX Platinum won't start you with any restricted CL. Your spend pattern will determine what your spend limit is, month to month. Paid month by month of course as well.

Getting the Ritz will align points with your CSP. The Ritz can provide complementary lounge access to what you get with the Delta lounges, they do not overlap. The Ritz will have a starting CL, but likely Visa Signature, so for spend/pay in a month perhaps not an issue. The points you will earn on regular daily spend with the Ritz are less valuable than the points Platinum or Prestige earn, in my opinion.

The Prestige will start you on a new pathway of TY Points. These will be most useful for flying American, won't transfer to Delta or United, though you can probably jury rig some transfer through some other partner like Singapore Air if you spend the time figuring it out. The lounge access will be complementary to the Delta lounges, I don't think they overlap at all. The Prestige, because of the multiples of points for travel, and reasonable redemption on daily spend, can work well as a stand-alone high-class travel card. Limited places to put those points, but you get so many of them for spend, that in my opinion it is going to be worth it to change airlines to AA. So, once I get my Prestige, I probably will Smiley Happy Similar WEMC, some limit on the CL, but it can be exceeded if paid with the statement.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Thanks NRB525, I'm leaning toward the Prestige also, but like I said, I'm not sure if they'll approve me right now.

As much as I like a heavy metal card Smiley Wink , Im thinking that AmEx Platinum is going to be better than Ritz. I'm not quite sure. It simply seems to be a "which do you like more"-kind of deal.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.