cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 61 Day CLI - how to count 61 days?

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx 61 Day CLI - how to count 61 days?

FWIW I believe the info can be gleaned from the AMEX account page.  When I was approved these dates populated.  I think day 61 is calculated from the SINCE date.

Message 11 of 27
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

How can I apply for a line of credit increasefor my American Express Card?

We do not increase an account's credit limit during the first 60 days after it has been opened, or for at least 6 months from the last credit limit increase. After that time has passed, if you are still interested in applying for an increased credit limit, you can check to see if you are eligible to change your credit limit online by logging into your account and going to your Profile & Preferences or you can call the number on the back of your Card to speak with one of our customer care professionals.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 27
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Nicholas - where would one find the "account opened" date?

Message 13 of 27
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@ficojoe wrote:

TransUnion account Creation Date: 11/6/12

Activation Date: 11/13/12

Today: 1/12/2013

Inital Credit Limit: $2,000

Results:

Request a Line of Credit Increase

Congratulations! 
Your request to increase your line of credit to $6,000 has been approved and will be available for use within 15 minutes.

Your New Line of Credit Information:
New Line of Credit:$6,000

Congrats. Yes you were technically eligible from 1/6/2013 onwards.

The account creation date can be found out from 

1) Obviously talking to CSR/contacting Amex. Some folks are nervous to do this for some odd reason.

2) Amex reports the exact day and month account is created, and reports that to TU.

3) Email from Amex with the last 5 numbers of the CC. Depending on the time of the day you got your application approved though, the account sometimes gets opened the day after you receive the email with last 5 digits. Account gets opened faster for existing Amex card members. 

Message 14 of 27
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

FWIW I believe the info can be gleaned from the AMEX account page.  When I was approved these dates populated.  I think day 61 is calculated from the SINCE date.

This is correct only before the first statement is cut. But yes this will also work ! Looks like you found another proxy for the account open date.

It looks like you opened your Amex card on 12/17/2012.

Once your first statement is cut and ready though, your SINCE day will say "Jan 14", which tracks spending for the next statement since the last statement closed. But great way to find your account open date. Thumbs up.

Message 15 of 27
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

How can I apply for a line of credit increasefor my American Express Card?

We do not increase an account's credit limit during the first 60 days after it has been opened, or for at least 6 months from the last credit limit increase. After that time has passed, if you are still interested in applying for an increased credit limit, you can check to see if you are eligible to change your credit limit online by logging into your account and going to your Profile & Preferences or you can call the number on the back of your Card to speak with one of our customer care professionals.

Thumbs up Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 27
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

This is correct only before the first statement is cut. It looks like you opened your Amex card on 12/17/xxxx (xxxx could obviously be diff depending on backdating).

Once your statement is ready, your SINCE day will say "Jan 14", which tracks spending for the next statement since the last statement closed.

My email came on 12/17.  This was not the app date nor the activation date.  It is not referenced as the "opened" date either which is what I was questioning as AMEX uses that in their policy wording.  There is a lot of confusion around these threads because while AMEX references the account open date as the jumping off point for calculating 61 days it is not clearly defined as such.  My discovery of the webpage reference matching the email was surprising - I didn't notice the match.  

I assume the math in this example points to 2/15 as day 61.  Yes, xxxx = 2012, not sure how backdating affects this but that would be 1995.

Message 17 of 27
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@Anonymous - where would one find the "account opened" date?

Look on your statement cut . That's the "" account opened"" day or possible look at the congratulation email that they sent when they approve your acc at the moment.

Message 18 of 27
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@jake619 wrote:
My email came on 12/17.  This was not the app date nor the activation date.  It is not referenced as the "opened" date either which is what I was questioning as AMEX uses that in their policy wording.  There is a lot of confusion around these threads because while AMEX references the account open date as the jumping off point for calculating 61 days it is not clearly defined as such.  My discovery of the webpage reference matching the email was surprising - I didn't notice the match.  

I assume the math in this example points to 2/15 as day 61.  Yes, xxxx = 2012, not sure how backdating affects this but that would be 1995.

What nicholasyud is the exact verbiage from Amex and I have always been a big proponent of it and I also post this in other forums. It is 61 days from Account opened date. 

Your email came of 12/17 which is when your account was opened. This is also getting reflected in your account online before the first statement has cut. I was recently approved for Amex plat on the 7th. I receieved the email with last 5 digits instantly upon approval on the 7th as well. But my account was created on the 8th which is what I see in the exact same spot that you caputured in your screenshot and also confirmed during a chat with a CSR yesterday when I was trying to confirm the bonus. 

I have always relied on the two surefire methods of getting to know the account creation date:

1) Amex themselves.

2) TU report.

I have now added a 3rd one based on analysis from your screenshot and also comparing my new recent accounts. I was editing my post but you quoted me before the edit Smiley Happy

3) SINCE date under Recent charges BEFORE 1st statement cut.

FYI, you will see account is reported as 12/17/1995 in your TU report. 

The confusion most folks bring on the forums is some chancecurrence that happens to be 61 days after activation they make the attempt. It is 61 days from account creation period and I have mentioned it several times. I just do not try to correct anyone's post anymore though. Hopefully the confusion withers down with time as more folks corroborate this.

Message 19 of 27
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Actually log on your account and search """0Credit Increase."""

Everything i said should be on there......

Also if you take a real look on your email that they said Congratulation etc....""when did your card been open."" ???

I apply on the 14th call them right after to verify some information and said ""congratulation you been approved "" but they dont generate a new account after a few days which on the 19th. Its had been know for Amex specially for their CC "" They generate a new open acc after a few days """ 

Can't wait for my new credit line 3x increase which next week after the 19th.

My first LUV hit ever.....

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.