Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx BCE to BCP upgrade offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx BCE to BCP upgrade offer

I just saw that AmEx is offering me $250 cash back to upgrade my BCE to BCP after $2000 spend in 3 months. It's a pretty tempting offer, even with the annual fee factored in that's $155 in free money sitting right there. But I've also done the math, and I don't even break even with the BCP less the annual fee compared to what I earn with the BCE.  I just don't spend enough on groceries. 

Of course, I could always downgrade my card after, though it does say that doing so in the first 12 months could result in me losing the bonus. So what should I do?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx BCE to BCP upgrade offer

@Anonymous wrote:

I just saw that AmEx is offering me $250 cash back to upgrade my BCE to BCP after $2000 spend in 3 months. It's a pretty tempting offer, even with the annual fee factored in that's $155 in free money sitting right there. But I've also done the math, and I don't even break even with the BCP less the annual fee compared to what I earn with the BCE.  I just don't spend enough on groceries. 

Of course, I could always downgrade my card after, though it does say that doing so in the first 12 months could result in me losing the bonus. So what should I do?

You don’t have to downgrade right away.  Just keep the card for 12 months and downgrade just at the time the next AF is due.  You’ll be fine.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has your BCE been open? I have a new ED, but I really should have signed up for the EDP, since I am using it a lot. I hope to get an upgrade offer in the future!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
How long has your BCE been open? I have a new ED, but I really should have signed up for the EDP, since I am using it a lot. I hope to get an upgrade offer in the future!

June 2016. 

Message 4 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

CARD Act prevents upgrade offers for at least a year.  Can't add an annual fee to a card in the first year.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

CARD Act prevents upgrade offers for at least a year.  Can't add an annual fee to a card in the first year.

I've had the card for 15 months. 

Message 6 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Right. Which is why you're seeing an upgrade offer.

I was addressing those asking how long they had to wait.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the offer and then PC back to the BCE at the end of the 12 months. I really liked the BCP for the 1st year i had it, I now have the BCE bc I ended up using my PRG/Green more than anything. i am hoping for an offer to upgrade though so I can once again make it my every day card!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got this offer yesterday for $150 statement credit after 2K spending in 90 days.

Message 9 of 10
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

According to your calculations, if you saw $155 on the ground, you would pick it up, right?

Congrats on the upgrade! I’m looking forward to an offer at the end of the year! 🎉🎉🎉

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.