Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx BCP Fee Increasing to $95 for new apps after 8/3

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx BCP Fee Increasing to $95 for new apps after 8/3

Looks like AmEx is increasing the annual fee on Blue Cash Preferred to $95 for new applicants after 8/3/2016. If you're on the fence about it, time to decide soon!

Link

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx BCP Fee Increasing to $95 for new apps after 8/3

Makes sense since a majority of their lower AF's are $95, nonetheless good info for fence sitters.
Message 2 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Excellent catch, even if less than excellent news!  Smiley Happy

Hopefully they'll leave the fee at $75 for a little longer for the existing cardholders. <fingers crossed>

In any case it's still worth it... I would prefer to keep the extra $20, though.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 43
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Hopefully they'll leave the fee at $75 for a little longer for the existing cardholders. <fingers crossed>

In any case it's still worth it... I would prefer to keep the extra $20, though.  Smiley Wink

Wonder if any existing cardholders can confirm how long they will be grandfathered.

Under the higher AF, it's definitely worth it if you spend more than $260 per month on groceries.  Hard for a single adult to do, though, so BCE or Sallie Mae (for those who have it) are still the better options in that case.

Message 4 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MASTERNC wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Wonder if any existing cardholders can confirm how long they will be grandfathered.

Under the higher AF, it's definitely worth it if you spend more than $260 per month on groceries.  Hard for a single adult to do, though, so BCE or Sallie Mae (for those who have it) are still the better options in that case.

+1

I agree that it would be hard for a single adult to do on food alone, but I also run all my Amazon and eBay purchases through my BCP by way of the grocery store (also earning fuel points).  For the record, this is legit spending. Smiley Happy

Doing this, I easily get $350 of grocery spend each month, especially early in the year before Amazon is covered by Discover categories.  Once you figure in Hulu, Netflix, and various gift cards for the fast food places I frequent it works out well.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 43
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

For the record, this is legit spending.

Though you're walking the fine line with MS. Be careful with that here.
Message 6 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

For the record, this is legit spending.

Though you're walking the fine line with MS. Be careful with that here.

While I appreciate your concern, I'm not taking any chances at all.  Smiley Happy

Without derailing this thread, I'll just say that there's nothing manufactured about my spending; neither Amex or the grocery store cares one bit what I put in my basket.  

I think you're conflating gift cards that can be redeemed for merchandise/services with gift cards that are convertable to cash, which is beyond the scope of this forum.

Message 7 of 43
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I have an AMEX Green charge card. The annual fee was increased to $95 quite some time ago. However, I continue to pay $55. Best I can tell is I am grandfathered in at the lower fee indefinately. Perhaps the same policy will be applied to the BCP card.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I have an AMEX Green charge card. The annual fee was increased to $95 quite some time ago. However, I continue to pay $55. Best I can tell is I am grandfathered in at the lower fee indefinately. Perhaps the same policy will be applied to the BCP card.

That's good to hear... thanks for letting us know! 

Hopefully they will follow that 'trend' with the BCP as well.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been thinking of re-upgrading my BCE to BCP and downgrading my EDP to ED...sounds like I should get on that! 

Thanks OP! 

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.