Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Backdating Questions

tag
Omri
New Contributor

AmEx Backdating Questions

I have a few questions about how AmEx backdating works.

1) I've read people saying that applying in January for an AmEx, in some way, maximizes your backdating. Can someone explain this for me?

2) I was an AU on my dad's AmEx (Delta Gold) back in 2005. He closed the account in 2005, so it only shows a few months of history on it on my CR. My fiancée apped for an AmEx Blue Sky and was approved, and she added me as an AU. Will this/can this backdate to 2005 on my CR?

3) I activated my AU card before she activated her card, so I set up an online account, and it says member since 2010. Besides my old 2005 AmEx AU card, neither of us has had an AmEx before. I didn't have any CCs of my own until 2010, and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the 2010 date (since that's kinda when my credit history started). Regardless, since it says 2010 online, will it report as open since 2010 for her as well? If I am indeed able to backdate my card back to 2005, will it show up as since 2005 for her too?

Thanks for the help!

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx Backdating Questions

@Omri wrote:

I have a few questions about how AmEx backdating works.

1) I've read people saying that applying in January for an AmEx, in some way, maximizes your backdating. Can someone explain this for me?

2) I was an AU on my dad's AmEx (Delta Gold) back in 2005. He closed the account in 2005, so it only shows a few months of history on it on my CR. My fiancée apped for an AmEx Blue Sky and was approved, and she added me as an AU. Will this/can this backdate to 2005 on my CR?

3) I activated my AU card before she activated her card, so I set up an online account, and it says member since 2010. Besides my old 2005 AmEx AU card, neither of us has had an AmEx before. I didn't have any CCs of my own until 2010, and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the 2010 date (since that's kinda when my credit history started). Regardless, since it says 2010 online, will it report as open since 2010 for her as well? If I am indeed able to backdate my card back to 2005, will it show up as since 2005 for her too?

Thanks for the help!

#1-  Amex backdates to the year you first got a card. So if you get 1 in Jan then you get a card that dates to 1 / Year
#2  -  I don't think Amex backdates if you were an AU

#3  - Same as #2 answer

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 2 of 5
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

1) They back date to the year of your oldest card, and apply the month that you apply.

For example if you had an amex dated Feb 2000.  If you apply in Jan of 2013 your new account would be dated 1/2000.  If you apply in August of 2013 your new account would be dated 8/2000.  If you apply in Jan you recieve 8 more month applied to your AAOA.

I do not believe they offer backdating on AUs.

Message 3 of 5
Omri
New Contributor

Those examples really cleared up my understanding, thanks!

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 4 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Did your dad add you to his 2005 amex in 2010? If so, that might explain it. While AU policies have changed (11/2011, i believe), it used to be their practice to backdate to your oldest card, even if you were an ACM. So if your dad added you to his card in 2010, that might, in fact, be your member since date. In that case, any card YOU open should backdate to 2010. However, your ACM on HER card may not.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.