Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Blacklisted...ish? Kinda?

tag
Calypso6

AmEx Blacklisted...ish? Kinda?

Hi all!

Weird little question here... I settled on two cards with AmEx back in 2010 and have been an AU on a Costco Amex since 2011.

I received a ~you've been invited to apply~ in the mail last week. Thanks to the site, I know all about the infamous blacklist and certainly assumed I was on it. But, I know that if you ARE, it's not a hard pull, but an instant decline. So I try and... 10 day message. Que? I waited an hour and checked the app status page and... declined! (attempting to check on the specific reason gives me a "sorry, your application cannot be accessed. please try again later." Meh, but oh well.

However, this morning I received an Credit Sesame alert that I had a new inquiry. Yup! AmEx! Nooo! Whywhywhy? And, seriously, why? Am I not on the blacklist? What is happening?

Also, I received an email this evening from AmEx telling me about the American Express Serve. This was the message "You recently applied for a product from American Express Centurion Bank. Although we are unable to offer you that product at this time, we invite you to consider the American Express Serve
Card, issued by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc." Huh?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks to all...

(edited because I can't read, apparently.)

CapitalOne Platinum $4500 / Vitacost $5000 / Sportsman's Guide $3,000 / AmEx Everyday $1000 / Barclaycard Apple Rewards Visa $5000 / Citi Simplicity $2000 / CareCredit $8400 / Overstock $5300 / Barclaycard Rewards $1500 / Amazon Store $3000 / Total Rewards Visa $1750 / MyPoints Visa $1000 / Nordstrom $3500 / Victoria's Secret $2100 / Kay Jewelers $5600 / Dillards $2000 / Sam's Club $6000 / Walmart $1600 / Express Next $1800 / GapCard $2350 / Target $300 / J Crew $5700 / Kohl's $300 / Ann Taylor $500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Blacklisted...ish? Kinda?

@Calypso6 wrote:

Hi all!

Weird little question here... I settled on two cards with AmEx back in 2010 and have been an AU on a Costco Amex since 2011.

I received a ~you've been invited to apply~ in the mail last week. Thanks to the site, I know all about the infamous blacklist and certainly assumed I was on it. But, I know that if you ARE10 day message. Que? I waited an hour and checked the app status page and... declined! (attempting to check on the specific reason gives me a "sorry, your application cannot be accessed. please try again later." Meh, but oh well.

However, this morning I received an Credit Sesame alert that I had a new inquiry. Yup! AmEx! Nooo! Whywhywhy? And, seriously, why? Am I not on the blacklist? What is happening?

Also, I received an email this evening from AmEx telling me about the American Express Serve. This was the message "You recently applied for a product from American Express Centurion Bank. Although we are unable to offer you that product at this time, we invite you to consider the American Express Serve

Thanks to all...

Welcome to myFICO...

It is my understanding that if you are blacklisted by AmEx, they will not pull your CR and simply deny you on that fact alone. Therefore, if that is truly the case, it would seem you are not blacklisted. I may be wrong, and perhaps AmEx has even changed this process. I'm sure others will have answers to your question. Good luck.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Calypso6 wrote:

Hi all!

I received a ~you've been invited to apply~ in the mail last week. Thanks to the site, I know all about the infamous blacklist and certainly assumed I was on it. But, I know that if you ARE10 day message. Que? I waited an hour and checked the app status page and... declined! (attempting to check on the specific reason gives me a "sorry, your application cannot be accessed. please try again later." Meh, but oh well.

Thanks to all...

It appears you are not on the blacklist. 

Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@Calypso6 wrote:

Hi all!

Thanks to all...

It appears you are not on the blacklist. 

+1

Hopefully, the application status page will refresh soon so you can view the reasons why AMEX may have declined the app.

Message 4 of 5
JonStur
Established Contributor

If I am not mistaken you can check online and they list the reasons for decline that you will receive in the mail. That should clear things up..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.