cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Blue Preferred - Cash Back Start Over Date?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx Blue Preferred - Cash Back Start Over Date?

My point is that yes, it will still be there the next month but its a perpetual cycle where you will very likely never hit exactly 50, 75, etc in rewards. By design, youre basically forced to leave some rewards behind. I dont mind that much since my spend isnt huge, but it does sort of hurt the rewards rate if you cant ever redeem them all.

I may or may not keep it long term. But if I dont I will surely do the math and cash out every penny haha
Message 11 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
My point is that yes, it will still be there the next month but its a perpetual cycle where you will very likely never hit exactly 50, 75, etc in rewards. By design, youre basically forced to leave some rewards behind. I dont mind that much since my spend isnt huge, but it does sort of hurt the rewards rate if you cant ever redeem them all.

I may or may not keep it long term. But if I dont I will surely do the math and cash out every penny haha

Sure, but further to Rev's point, assuming this doesn't violate your sense righteousness (not a violation of Amex's T&C), just buy Amazon, Gas card, or restaurant GCs you'll use to round up the redemption to $25.  

Cash out, close the card, done.

Message 12 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well they gave me a 25 dollar credit when I upgraded so my fee is really only 50 this year. Ive also used about 25 bucks in amex offers. So my fee has been low. I have time to figure it out Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

But forcing you to redeem multiples of $25 is "unfriendly", even Citi Dividend moved away from that, allowing redemption of any amount above the minimum.

Message 14 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

But forcing you to redeem multiples of $25 is "unfriendly", even Citi Dividend moved away from that, allowing redemption of any amount above the minimum.

It's an unsophisticated software implementation; wasn't arguing that... was simply suggesting in real world terms for "real" consumers it makes no difference.  

Possible they did it on purpose, wouldn't put it past someone thinking it was a good idea to make the system more complicated than it needed to be in hopes people wouldn't make full use of the rewards... with the recent VW issue I wouldn't put that sort of shennigans past folks, but it's rare that they'd go out of their way to do that from a software implementation perspective.

If I had to guess this thing was implemented years ago since the common demonination for GC's is $25 and they just did the easy thing and made that the minimum statement credit rather than developing two different systems.  Not a fan, but I can see where it evolved into the awkwardness that exists today with regards to statement credit.

        
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.