Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx CLI over $25K without 4506T

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx CLI over $25K without 4506T

25k is not going to always result in an FR (4506-T). As your limit gets higher, the chance of an FR increases. Some people noticed higher instances of FRs when limits crossed 25k. While we lack sufficient evidence to call 25k the magic number, it is very reasonable to make the assumption that higher limits involve a higher risk of an FR. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is since an FR is a minor incovenience only and not the scary proposition some people make it out to be (my opinion). 

Message 21 of 27
rlx01
Established Contributor

4506-T request for a CLI is not a FR.

FR = charging suspended, provide docs or lose all your cards.

You can just ignore the 4506-T request on a CLI with no repercussions.
Message 22 of 27
hawaii-girl
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

25k is not going to always result in an FR (4506-T). As your limit gets higher, the chance of an FR increases. Some people noticed higher instances of FRs when limits crossed 25k. While we lack sufficient evidence to call 25k the magic number, it is very reasonable to make the assumption that higher limits involve a higher risk of an FR. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is since an FR is a minor incovenience only and not the scary proposition some people make it out to be (my opinion). 

Just wanted to point out that 4506T is not FR. 4506T is income verification with the IRS and no big deal, if you are willing to provide the info. Some are and some aren't. FR is a whole different animal, and my understanding is that if you decline, Amex will close all your accounts. I could be wrong on that last bit.

Message 23 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@CF_Frost wrote:
I always thought the 4506T request was a foregone conclusion 

Nope.  Emphasis below is mine:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

The following often (but not always) are potential reasons why Amex asks for 4506T for a CLI request. 

• New requested credit limit exceeds $25,000 for that particular account.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

after all no one ever said it was automatic to be asked for when over 25k. What most are actually saying. is if you don't want to take a chance. its a 99% chance they won't if you don't go over 25k. in other words. its a 50-50 chance if over .

Where does the 50-50 come from?

You didn't know that the bear just flips a coin? Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

When you say 5%, did you mean overall, or just 5% for this cards limit? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'd like to try to follow your footsteps so I can get a nice CLI next year. I just got the card a month ago, I wanna make sure I use it right! Thanks again!

Your entire credit profile matters just as it does with any creditor.  Usage isn't going to make or break your CLI on its own.  Another common assumption is that "AmEx hates balances" but I received my CLI's while carrying balances on intro offers with both of my cards.

Message 24 of 27
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Is 50k the next magical number after 30k? Why wouldn't someone just ask for 90k? (assuming providing 4506T info is not an issue)

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 25 of 27
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I went from 22 to 27k with no form. I'm waiting for August to request again since last years tax docs were higher on income just in case they ask for them. 

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if you decline to provide the 4506T when it's asked for as part of a CLI request? My understanding is just that the CLI will be declined. Will this prevent any possible auto-CLIs in the future and could it cause a CLD? $25k seems to be mentioned as a threshold for being asked for 4506T, are there any other distinct levels after that where they get even more sensitive? $35k? 50k?

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.