Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx CLI shot down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx CLI shot down

@LTomBerry wrote:

I went for $25k because that seems to be the max they go for without a Spanish inquisition. I assumed the standard advice of 3x didn't apply here. Next time if they still don't go for it I'll try for $20K so it's a nice round number instead of 19.3.

My other debts are $100/mo on a student loan $2,000/10,000 and $281/mo on a car loan $10,000/15,000.

I PIF anyway so I'll pay down the 2 cards I mentioned to 0 and pre-pay down the AmEx so it shows less overall debt. $3K is slightly above my normal monthly expenses because I bought plane tickets this month so that probably didn't help.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a BofA 123 Visa Signature. With a score in the 780s (the 764 EX was from the AmEx app, I figure it went up like the others once the backdated AmEx reported) I should get a decent CL which other banks will see. Shouldn't that help? It'll only drop my AAoA from 6.5 to 6 yrs.

I just yesterday upgraded my BoA Cash Rewards World MasterCard to the 123 World MasterCard, so this way it will report my 10K CL, Visa Siggy Cards report as Flexable Spending Cards and show no CL.

I initially had the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Siggy, but PC'd it to the BankAmericard Cash Rewards World MasterCard and now upgraded it to the 123 card.

Message 11 of 14
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:

I went for $25k because that seems to be the max they go for without a Spanish inquisition. I assumed the standard advice of 3x didn't apply here. Next time if they still don't go for it I'll try for $20K so it's a nice round number instead of 19.3.

My other debts are $100/mo on a student loan $2,000/10,000 and $281/mo on a car loan $10,000/15,000.

I PIF anyway so I'll pay down the 2 cards I mentioned to 0 and pre-pay down the AmEx so it shows less overall debt. $3K is slightly above my normal monthly expenses because I bought plane tickets this month so that probably didn't help.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a BofA 123 Visa Signature. With a score in the 780s (the 764 EX was from the AmEx app, I figure it went up like the others once the backdated AmEx reported) I should get a decent CL which other banks will see. Shouldn't that help? It'll only drop my AAoA from 6.5 to 6 yrs.

I believe Amex won't flat out reject you if you ask for too much; they will just counter-offer you for the max that they will give (if you're asking for $25K or less).

Message 12 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I bet in you'll get it in 90 days if you try again then (now that you know they think your balances are too high).  Thanks for sharing this.  I was about to ask for a CLI this week but decided to wait and strategize until some cards come back down to 0.

On another note, was your recent Discover CLI automatic or did you initiate it?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 14
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I bet in you'll get it in 90 days if you try again then (now that you know they think your balances are too high).  Thanks for sharing this.  I was about to ask for a CLI this week but decided to wait and strategize until some cards come back down to 0.

On another note, was your recent Discover CLI automatic or did you initiate it?

I initiated it, I called, went through the auto phone thing and it said needs more info, transferring to CSR. We agreed that it usually means a HP at that point but let's see what the computer says. She asked why I want CLI, I said to get my score closer to 800. Employment, 7 yrs military, boom approved $1500 CLI with a soft.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.