Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Cancelled OASIS - Help

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx Cancelled OASIS - Help

haulingthescoreup wrote:
through my new Lasik-enhanced eyes, mmm-bwah-hah-hah!!!

Did you apply for Care Credit to pay for it?  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 21 of 35
Lawlover2
Contributor

What is care credit?
Message 22 of 35
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Lawlover2 wrote:
What is care credit?

A branch of GE that gives CCs specifically for medical bills

My wife got one.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 23 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lawlover2 wrote:

When I call AmEx, should I immediately ask to speak to a supervisor and ask to have my Oasis card back?

I sure would! I don't have a "real" AmEx (mine's from USAA), but I keep reading how they do work with you, and they're very upfront. I would hate to just assume that it's a done deal that couldn't be salvaged. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
through my new Lasik-enhanced eyes, mmm-bwah-hah-hah!!!

Did you apply for Care Credit to pay for it?  Smiley Very Happy

Nope, I had saved up about half of it, plunked it on the AmEx, and paid it off in two months. The advantage of working two jobs! Smiley Wink The surgeon tried to make one eye 20/20 and the other a little weaker to focus on the computer screen, but they both did better than planned, so one's 20/15 and the "bad eye" is 20/20. I just keep pushing my chair farther and farther away! This after having last been able to read the big E at age 15.

Every time I read a post about the Hooters card, I think of my eyes wide open, with that laser coming closer, closer, closer...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lawlover2 wrote:
Actually, I was in the process of paying things off and looking back, I wasn't late on anything at the time.  My scores at that point were most likely higher than when I got the card.  I had not received any new credit and had absolutely no inquiries on this.  I know I won't get the card if I apply for a true Am Ex as my scores are still way to low (I am still in recoverySmiley Happy).  This was the only CC I had so now I have nothing and am afraid now . . . I don't have any CC to carry a 10% balance w/ and afraid of being turned down w/ others and wasting inquiries.  I know that Wash Mu and Capital One will certainly tell me know - they have been paid in full but were closed by the creditor!  When I call AmEx, should I immediately ask to speak to a supervisor and ask to have my Oasis card back?

Were your other cards closed before or after, the Amex Oasis was opened?  I would definitely call for an explanation letting them know that since this was the only card you had, you don' understand the dip.  Were you tracking your scores at all?  I wonder what caused the sudden 'dip' they are referring to. I would check my reports to make sure nothing new negative showed up but thedip could have been cause by the closure of the other accounts.

Message 26 of 35
dizzier
Established Contributor

if i were you i'd call them back right away and i would ask them again why my card was closed. if they gave me the same story i would let them know that i am monitoring my scores and reports and there have been no new changes. then i'd ask for the sup. if the sup gave me the same bs i'd ask for a copy of whatever report or score they claim prompted this adverse action.

it's possible they just made a mistake or maybe one of those phantom CRAs is behind this.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 27 of 35
Lawlover2
Contributor

Thanks for all of your advice.  I am going to contact them when I get home this evening.  I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!  Keep your fingers crossedSmiley Happy
Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for further clarification on OASIS products also known internally as "Recovery" products...any returned payment, past due, drop in cbr, overlimit, basically...anything negative can get this card cancelled. At least for a year.  If you can keep the card in good standing for a year, you are eligible for an upgrade.  I would say don't get too excited about OASIS cards...or better yet, don't use them.  Just buy a coffee at starbucks once a month.  High utilization may even prompt cancellation.
Message 29 of 35
Lawlover2
Contributor

Nothing . . . I am so mad!  I called last night and the supervisor told me had I requested this w/in 3 months of my card being cancelled, she could have done something.  I never new but my card was canceled in June!!!  When I got online to pay and check balance every  month - it didn't say closed.  When I called the automated line, it says I still have $700 in available credit.  Apparently, they sent a letter . . . I didn't get it!  She told me to reapply - right, I won't be getting that.  And, I paid a $49 annual fee - was 3 months short of having it a year!  Helppppp meee - I want to SCREAM at someone!
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.