CreditRookie22
Contributor

Re: AmEx Carrying Balance

What's wrong with buying gift cards?
Message 11 of 20
eddie84
Valued Contributor

^ MS? Anywho, what's wrong with carrying balance with AmEx? I do it all the time. Smiley Tongue  As long as you don't care about their CLI! Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

People use gift cards to rack up rewards points. It's very frowned upon. Thanks for all the input guys. From what I've gotten from your replies, it's okay in moderation and if you're smart and consistent. That's what I was thinking. Thanks everyone.
Message 13 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

has Amex been known to CLD or AA for carrying a balance on a revolver?

carrying a balance for 6 months or longer plus having the balance grow over time, charging more than you are paying months after month can lead to a CLD or worse.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 14 of 20
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditRookie22 wrote:
What's wrong with buying gift cards?

Manufactured spending.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
People use gift cards to rack up rewards points. It's very frowned upon. Thanks for all the input guys. From what I've gotten from your replies, it's okay in moderation and if you're smart and consistent. That's what I was thinking. Thanks everyone.

I don't frown upon it. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did some manufactured spending this morning and got a chicken biscuit. That thing sure tasted manufactured. Yuck!
Message 17 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

Smiley Very Happy
Message 18 of 20
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I haven't had a problem with it, got my CLI's and added another card a yr. later before paying off

Message 19 of 20
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

has Amex been known to CLD or AA for carrying a balance on a revolver?

carrying a balance for 6 months or longer plus having the balance grow over time, charging more than you are paying months after month can lead to a CLD or worse.

I carry a balance with 0% APR/  Have not had any issue.  Amex auto increased my CL again yesterday. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.