cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

Hey Forum,

Just wanted to throw a heads up that I inquired about my AmEx Blue Cash preferred's upgradability to chip and PIN (or chippy sig) and low and behold, it's apparently coming really soon! One more week or so.October 16th!

On the topic of convenience however, I wonder if the card is actually tap and go compliant as well. That really is the most convenient way to pay, especially with low dollar transactions. In playing around with chip and PIN and paying with PayPal at work (enterprise retail software company), tap and go is hands down the quickest.

Talk amongst yourselves!

Response (Umang Kapoor)     10/07/2012 02:25 PM Dear Mr. X,

I'd like to inform that Chip & Signature options will not be available until October 16, 2012. After that, American Express may launch this feature.

Therefore, you may call the number on the back of your Card after the above mentioned and one of the representatives will be glad to assist you with the possible available option.

In the meanwhile, you can continue using your current Card without any issues outside the USA, please explain the cashier that your Card is a swipe and sign Card; therefore, please ask them to swipe the Card in order to process the charge.

I am sure, once they follow this procedure, the charge would be approved without any issues.

I assure that our concerned department is planning to introduce this technology in our Cards, so that our Cardmembers don't face such situation while using them overseas.

I hope this is useful and reassuring. Have an excellent weekend!

Sincerely,

Umang Kapoor
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

Now if they would just drop the foreign transaction fees...

Seriously, this will just convert all Amex cards except plat/cent into cards you can use overseas, but shouldn't.

edit for typo

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 39
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

Yeah, with the chip n pin (or sig) AND no forex fees it would be a great travel card. 

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 39
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Forum,

Just wanted to throw a heads up that I inquired about my AmEx Blue Cash preferred's upgradability to chip and PIN (or chippy sig) and low and behold, it's apparently coming really soon! One more week or so.October 16th!

On the topic of convenience however, I wonder if the card is actually tap and go compliant as well. That really is the most convenient way to pay, especially with low dollar transactions. In playing around with chip and PIN and paying with PayPal at work (enterprise retail software company), tap and go is hands down the quickest.

Talk amongst yourselves!

Response (Umang Kapoor)     10/07/2012 02:25 PM Dear Mr. X,

I'd like to inform that Chip & Signature options will not be available until October 16, 2012. After that, American Express may launch this feature.

Therefore, you may call the number on the back of your Card after the above mentioned and one of the representatives will be glad to assist you with the possible available option.

In the meanwhile, you can continue using your current Card without any issues outside the USA, please explain the cashier that your Card is a swipe and sign Card; therefore, please ask them to swipe the Card in order to process the charge.

I am sure, once they follow this procedure, the charge would be approved without any issues.

I assure that our concerned department is planning to introduce this technology in our Cards, so that our Cardmembers don't face such situation while using them overseas.

I hope this is useful and reassuring. Have an excellent weekend!

Sincerely,

Umang Kapoor
Email Servicing Team

Thx 4 heads up, planning a trip overseas in Nov., any word if the EMV chip would be "dual interface"?....like the ones AMEX offers overseas & in Canada! B/c I 2 find the expresspay feature very convenient

Message 4 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I decided to shoot AMEX a message to see if this might be an option for my Blue Cash Preferred card.  Here is the response that I got.  Note that my inquiry was regarding both Chip & PIN and Chip & Signature cards, and the response seemed to (rather confusingly) address both:

I am happy to inform you that we are in plan of launching Chip and Pin Cards in US very soon.

Our management team is already working towards this project. It will take some time to cover the entire US and all Card types.

We realized the difficulty of our Cardmembers who are frequent travelers regarding this matter.

Therefore, our management has already initiated the project of enabling you with a chip-enabled solution, your new Chip & Signature Card will help you avoid these disruptions when you travel internationally.

I hope you find this information useful.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
Email Servicing Team

Message 5 of 39
lanc
Regular Contributor

I just called the regular cs number yesterday and was told it's not available yet.  I called back and spoke to anothe cs and he said they were available and sent my wife and I two cards next day air with the chip.  I received the ups tracking # at 2AM so they should be coming...

Message 6 of 39
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I just called the regular cs number yesterday and was told it's not available yet.  I called back and spoke to anothe cs and he said they were available and sent my wife and I two cards next day air with the chip.  I received the ups tracking # at 2AM so they should be coming...

As I do a lot of business overseas, I gave them a call today to see if they have chip and signature on the Blue Cash Preferred and was told that it is not yet available for that card type.  So its seems YMMV depending on the product.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I am thinking Ianc is about to receive cards with the ExpressPay chip inside. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 39
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:
I am thinking Ianc is about to receive cards with the ExpressPay chip inside. Smiley Happy

Yeah actually when I mentioned I was looking for the Chip + Signature, she instingtively said oh "Express Pay Chip", I had to explain to her that no it wasn't expresspay, and she had to go off and research it.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 39
stone
Regular Contributor

is it possible to have both chip and expresspay feature in one card?

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.