cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

@stone wrote:

is it possible to have both chip and expresspay feature in one card?

Rep told me today that you have to choose one or the other.

Message 11 of 39
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

Its called EMV (europay mastercard visa so I don't think amex will be onboard anytime soon. XD

Message 12 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@stone wrote:

Interesting.  I wish I knew which reps the other folks here are talking to.  Mostly because I'm off today and have absolutely nothing better to do, but also partially because I am truly curious, I have called AMEX a couple of times today and each time I have been told that any type of chip card (other than ExpressPay) is simply not an option.  I have three cards-- Zync, Clear, and Blue Cash Preferred-- and while I haven't inquired about each card specifically, all three reps I have talked to over the phone and via secure messaging have stated it just is not an option. Period.

Message 13 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Its called EMV (europay visa mastercard) so I don't think amex will be onboard anytime soon. XD

They are in the rest of the world. Just not in the USA.

Message 14 of 39
stone
Regular Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@stone wrote:

thanks, i think i will call them a few days later, that most rep kown how to process a emv chip card.

Message 15 of 39
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@stone wrote:

It's certainly possible that in the future they will support both, for instance my Barclaycard Gold has both Chip+pin and contactless payments, initially though they will probably just focus on EMV.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 39
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Doesn't Amex charge a FTF?  I just don't see the point of bringing an Amex out of the country.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 17 of 39
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I just called and they said they would overnight me a green card with the chip and sig...  but they were also like are you sure you need it, it's only useful if you are going to europe.  since i don't have a trip planned there currently I declined

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 18 of 39
TheConductor
Established Contributor

AmEx Platinum has no forex fee.

But I'd take a chipped AmEx with me as a backup card even if it did have the forex fee. I wouldn't intend it to be my primary spending card, but unless I actually had two different chipped, no-FTF cards (not likely to happen for me soon considering most of those are prime-time cards), I'd be perfectly happy to pay 3% extra in that rare situation where my primary card was being declined, not working, frozen by an overzealous fraud alert team, or whatever.

It is kind of funny, though, that AmEx's no-FTF options are the Prepaid, the Bluebird, and the Platinum. Targeting the fringes of the bell curve only, leaving everyone in the middle with the fee...genius!  Smiley Frustrated

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 19 of 39
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Yeah it just doesn't make sense to me.  I have a cap1 and BoA with no FTF, I think Im going to pass.  You would think at least the Blue Sky would be NO FTF but I guess not.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.