cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

tag
87e30

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

Anyone had any luck with AMX GOLD, or PRG?

Message 31 of 39
websteth

Re: AmEx Chip and Signature - October 16th (It's not chip and PIN but it's a start!)

I just called for my Platinum and was told they don't have EMV yet and it wouldn't be until next year. For those that have gotten it, what cards did you have and what specifically did you ask for?

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Platinum cust svc, and after being on hold for about 10 mins while the rep researched the "process" I was informed that Nov 21'st is the date that it will be available to all Platinum card holders. It might be available to Cents now, so if anyone has one mayb they can chime in.

Message 33 of 39
websteth

Good To know. I guess I'll try at the end of November. 

Message 34 of 39
Rmferrer350z

Just called this morning and the CSR was so polite! Literally took 3-5 mins for the request. She rushed delivered it and will show up on the 28th via UPS. She did mention that because I requested my AMEX Plat to be chip and signature, in the future I would NOT be able to convert back to the former(magnetic strip).

**Currently available to only Plat and Cent members, but everyone will get one in 2013**
Message 35 of 39
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Rmferrer350z wrote:
Just called this morning and the CSR was so polite! Literally took 3-5 mins for the request. She rushed delivered it and will show up on the 28th via UPS. She did mention that because I requested my AMEX Plat to be chip and signature, in the future I would NOT be able to convert back to the former(magnetic strip).

**Currently available to only Plat and Cent members, but everyone will get one in 2013**

Why would you want to go back to magnetic strip only card anyway? Chip and signature will eventually become mainstream and replaces magnetic strip.

Message 36 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@87e30 wrote:

I asked this last Summer about Chip and Signature for my PRG and was told flat out its not available in the US.  I am like this is a travel card and its not available?, I even told the rep, Its the 21 century you know AmEx needs to catch up with the rest of the card companies as they are all offering this service on at least 1 of their cards.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 37 of 39
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@87e30 wrote:

I asked this last Summer about Chip and Signature for my PRG and was told flat out its not available in the US.  I am like this is a travel card and its not available?, I even told the rep, Its the 21 century you know AmEx needs to catch up with the rest of the card companies as they are all offering this service on at least 1 of their cards.

For now, this is how people will be baited into PC/app to Plat.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over 2.7% I know people make a big deal but you need to be spending a lot outside the country for it to really be significant. I got my plat mostly for the fringe benefits (oh and the sign up bonus convinced me I guessSmiley Wink. I have other cards with better rewards and no FTF at this point. Slightly disappointed that it's not chip/pin which would make it truly useful and my primary intl card when I make it to Europe next. Step in the right direction though. It's coming Tues. rep also said that they were planning some changes that he's excited about, he didn't elaborate though.
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.