Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx ExpressPay

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

AmEx ExpressPay

American Express has the Expresspay chip feature on Blue, Blue Cash, Blue Sky, Clear and Starwood. However there seems to be some of us that have the Blue cards without the expresspay chip. I wonder how many other people are missing this feature. I wonder is there any rhyme or reason to it or is there just an extra pile of non-chip card blanks they are using in their card-printing office?

If you have one of these cards, does your card have the chip installed? If so have you ever used it and what has your experience been using it?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Re: AmEx ExpressPay

its just nfc technology...its been arond quite a while. had blink on my chase debit card and express pay on my blue back in 03'. its what google is currently trying to incorporate with cell phones so you dont have to carry cards. honestly the only time it comes in handy on a physical card is when your magnetic strip isnt working. i use it once in a while at the grocery store or at cvs when im too lazy to swipe.
Message 2 of 9
old_number_7
Established Member

My Amex BCP card did not come with the chip. I was thinking of calling them to get it, but It doesn't seem worth a phone call.
FICO: Equifax 4/6/14 *760* -- Transunion 2/10/14 *747* -- Experian 3/30/14 *768*
Amex BCP $17600 / Discover $15500 / BofA Rewards $13000 / Chase Sapphire Preferred $12000 / Lowes $10000 / BofA Platinum Plus $10000 / Citi Thankyou Premier $8000 / Citi Diamond $4900 / Chase Amazon $4500 / Chase Freedom $2000 / Amex Gold Premier
Message 3 of 9
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@old_number_7 wrote:
My Amex BCP card did not come with the chip. I was thinking of calling them to get it, but It doesn't seem worth a phone call.

Same here -- BCP, no chip, not really losing sleep over it.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 4 of 9
dharalex
Established Contributor

I have the Blue, but there is no chip. I'm not really interested at this point....I hear that the merchant name doesn't appear, just "express pay" and the amount. I definitely don't like that!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 5 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
I have the Blue, but there is no chip. I'm not really interested at this point....I hear that the merchant name doesn't appear, just "express pay" and the amount. I definitely don't like that!

I can second that. I have the SPG card with the chip. I've only used it once at a vending machine and it showed up as Express Pay with no other identifying information. That's only one data point, not sure if it would be the same if I used it elsewhere.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My blue cash everyday has the chip...but its sock drawered so havent used it.

Message 7 of 9
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@dharalex wrote:

I can second that. I have the SPG card with the chip. I've only used it once at a vending machine and it showed up as Express Pay with no other identifying information. That's only one data point, not sure if it would be the same if I used it elsewhere.

I finally got a card with the chip on the 5th try. I had used a previous card at Brahms and saw that it reports as "Expresspay on Blue" and doesn't say the merchant name unless you expand the item on the website. It also downloads to quicken/excel that way. I mentioned it to a CSR, and said that while the fact that it was an expresspay transaction might be useful to know, that is still secondary information that should not trump the name of the merchant. She agreed with me and submitted a message to the expresspay guys about it. I bet if enough of us call/email/write to AmEx complaining about the way it reports they might fix it.

Message 8 of 9
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Update: I used Expresspay at Best Buy today. The cashier thought it was so cool, he had never seen anyone use it before. Anyhow, it's showing up online, at least under pending charges, as Best Buy and not Expresspay on Blue. Looks like they listened. Let's hope it stays that way when the transaction is finalized. Anyone else want to try theirs out to see if it's indeed fixed?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.