Did you mean: 

AmEx Gold Delta Offer

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Gold Delta Offer

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I'm not a mathematician. 

However, unless you have $3k to spend and don't mind having your miles valued less.

Isn't this the better offer?

Current Deal = $1000 over 3 months/50000 miles =  $0.02 cents

Last Deal = $2000 over 3 months/50000 miles = $0.04

Then have the joy of spending another $1000 within 6 months/10000 miles  = $0.10

So this is by far the better deal when taking into account "ONLY" what you spend on the number of bonus miles you receive. 

It is a better deal if the opportunity cost of the other $2000 spend is high.  However, you're almost certainly going to spend that money anyway right after that.  So the question becomes what value are you getting from that spend?

If you have more churning lined up after that, then maybe you would be better off taking the 50K deal, since the other $2000 may get you better than 5-10% earning.  However, if you're just earning normal rewards after this churn, the return on that $2000 is almost certainly going to be less than that.  12K additional miles for $2000 spend is a better value than you'll get on any non-churning rewards earn.

Message 11 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous your math is fine, but you're not showing the value of the points - you're showing the amount of spend required to earn each point.  Even if we just use the TPG's most current valuation of 1.2 cents (for my planned award flights, I'm actually seeing more in the 1.5-2.6 cpp range, though), yes the current offer of 50k points for $1k spend gives phenomenal return on spend - at 1.2 cpp it's like 60% back on the first $1000 in spend! But if we took that next $2k in spend and valued out those points at 1.2 cpp, that's another $120 in value or like getting 6% back on the next $2k - essentially, for the $3k you're getting 24% back! Real values thus far in my experience are far higher than TPG's valuations, though.

And again, depending on your destination you may need those extra 10k points. If you're trying to book a 60k r/t award flight and come up short, your value will drop to 1 cpp with Pay With Miles or you'll need to buy very expensive SkyMiles to make up the difference.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the 30k points offer and got approved, have not recieved the card yet. Got an email for a 60k offer, does anyone know if Amex match offers?

Message 13 of 24
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Amex won’t match other offers. Or we all get Plat 100k offers.
Message 14 of 24
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I got the mailer offer 50k miles for $1k spend last year. Jumped on it and I had no regrets.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Ah, that's frustrating. Nothing I can do to get the 60k, then?

What about applying for the card again through the targeted offer? I haven't activated the first card yet and the terms on the targeted offer don't say anything about not being available to applicants who have had the card before.

Message 16 of 24
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Ah, that's frustrating. Nothing I can do to get the 60k, then?

What about applying for the card again through the targeted offer? I haven't activated the first card yet and the terms on the targeted offer don't say anything about not being available to applicants who have had the card before.

Delta does the 60K offer every 3-4 months.  You can also use a referral from someone who has the Gold card.  Right now there is one going on for 50,000 miles for $2,000 spend in 2 months and an additional 10,000 miles if you spend $1,000 in your first 6 months with a $50 statement credit.  It will most certainly have the lifetime language though.  I am not sure if it counts if you don't activate your card.  

Message 17 of 24
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Look for the 50K miles offer plus $150 statement credit with 1K spend. That’s what I signed up with. Great offer.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I missed my opportunity to apply for the card when I had the targeted offer of 60K miles after $1K of spend. I am seeing the 50K offer now and I am tempted to sign up. My concern is I only want the card to pay for my upcoming trip in September. Currently the flights are $720 round trip, or 46K miles plus $50.

Even if I spend the $1K the first week I get the card I don't know if I will get the miles in time to book the flights without the cost/miles going up.

Anyone know how long the sign-up bonus typically takes to post? I know I had the Amex SPG bonus post within a week of me hitting the qualifying spend. 

Message 19 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I missed my opportunity to apply for the card when I had the targeted offer of 60K miles after $1K of spend. I am seeing the 50K offer now and I am tempted to sign up. My concern is I only want the card to pay for my upcoming trip in September. Currently the flights are $720 round trip, or 46K miles plus $50.

Even if I spend the $1K the first week I get the card I don't know if I will get the miles in time to book the flights without the cost/miles going up.

Anyone know how long the sign-up bonus typically takes to post? I know I had the Amex SPG bonus post within a week of me hitting the qualifying spend. 

I just looked at my SkyMiles account and Amex history on that card from 2017.  I met the $4k total spend for 70k on my Delta Platinum card 3 weeks after receiving it.  2 days after the charge that pushed me over the $4k are listed, the SkyMiles were posted (before the card statement closed), so I am assuming they actually got posted as soon as the charge was finalized.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.