Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Gold finally reports, but incorrectly, and with mystery acct number

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

AmEx Gold finally reports, but incorrectly, and with mystery acct number

Well, I figured this wouldn't go smoothly, so I've been PIF'ing before the statement posts. Good thing, because it looks like it's coded like a credit card. Although EX does have terms: 1 month, which I guess is good. Also, it has an account number I've never seen before, that I can't find anywhere on the AmEx site. It doesn't include any of the numbers on my card. How would I confirm that this really is my account, although I'm sure it is? The EQ number is the same as the EX number, but there's a hyphen in front of it. You will notice that TU is AWOL, as usual, out chasing moths or something.

(By the way, this is how TrueCredit looks on the printable report option, although there's usually a lot more data in there.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx Gold finally reports, but incorrectly, and with mystery acct number

Thats exactly how my Gold reports as well HTSU..

The condition on both is "Open" which codes as Installment-esqe in FICO scoring purposes..

the balance on gold will reflect your highest balance ever so do let it cut a statement once in a while!
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex reports a scrambled account number for security so if someone got your credit report they don't have your true credit card number. They do the same on my CR. I called to question the account number and Amex explained this to me.
Message 3 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@SonorityGenius wrote:
The condition on both is "Open" which codes as Installment-esqe in FICO scoring purposes..
the balance on gold will reflect your highest balance ever so do let it cut a statement once in a while!

Actually the condition box talks about whether the account is Open or Closed with an explanation or delinquent.
Message 4 of 9
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

@erchambers wrote:

@SonorityGenius wrote:

Actually the condition box talks about whether the account is Open or Closed with an explanation or delinquent.

No, the condition box on my other non-charge cards state "Revolving" or "installment"

By stating "Open" for Gold charge card it is not classified as revolving credit card and thus impacts your score less than had it say Revolving term
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am Ex uses a "customer number" - not your card number when reporting to the bureaus.  I found this out because they changed the numbers back in January.  The old ones started with 4386 - and the new ones with 3499.  Now they have royally messed up my report by duplicating every single account I have with them.  It's been months of disputing and phone calls, and still no fix.  Hopefully, they won't double report you!
Message 6 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I don't want to argue about something silly like this, but it could confuse someone new about what the Condition means on TrueCredit. Here are two examples from my TC.

The first one is an Open (not closed) Credit Card, and the second is a Closed Installment SL.

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

erchambers would be correct. The condition just states rather account is open, closed, deliquent.
Has nothing to do with weather it's a credit card or charge card.
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Here's what fused posted about how they're supposed to look. I'm assuming that he's referring to how they're supposed to look on the full reports that come directly from each bureau, not TrueCredit, myFICO, etc. I should have thought of that before screenshotting TC:

1.) EX: make sure it reports as revolving, terms 1 month; if it reports like this it will not count in util calculations

2.) EQ: make sure it reports as other open account; if it reports like this it will not not count in util calculations

3.) TU: the current scoring model includes no limit charge cards in util, no matter what you do

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=79027#M79027

I checked my full EX and I think it's right there, but I don't see anything on EQ that indicates that it's a charge card rather than a revolving credit card. I'll put those screen shots up when I get back, ummm, to my regular computer. Smiley Wink

edit to add: pizza and Heidi, thanks for the clarification on the number! I could understand having a different account number than the card number, but I was baffled as to why I couldn't find it on the site. Hope your double TL's go back to one soon!

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-16-2008 01:39 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.