Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Member Since ... reporting issue

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

AmEx Member Since ... reporting issue

a few weeks ago I became an AU on my dad's Gold card. So I get the card, and to my chagrin it says "Member Since 12". I go online to chek my profile, and there too it says "Member Since 2012".

Dad's had this card for over 20 years. Where's this famous AmEx backdating I had been hoping for?

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AmEx Member Since ... reporting issue

@hateAshbury wrote:

a few weeks ago I became an AU on my dad's Gold card. So I get the card, and to my chagrin it says "Member Since 12". I go online to chek my profile, and there too it says "Member Since 2012".

Dad's had this card for over 20 years. Where's this famous AmEx backdating I had been hoping for?

AFAIK an AU doesn't get the backdating but I may be wrong on that, hopefully someone here chimes in.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

It may be different for AUs, but if your Dad opened any additional AmEx cards, they'd have his original opening date.

Try a different CSR, you may get lucky.
Message 3 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

In the past, as a courtesy, AUs were backdated to the date of the Basic cardmember.

Amex has stopped this policy, and now considers the AU a member since approval date, and not the original Basic cardmember.  You can try to call and request the backdating, but the chance of success is less than assured, as it had been in the past.

Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. You can call in and ask but people have had mixed results with this. YMMV.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@hateAshbury wrote:

AMEX changed their policy in November, 2011, and they will no longer backdate Additional Card Members.  If you later obtain your own AMEX card, however, they will backdate this to the date you were first added as an AU on the above Gold cared. 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TNTransplant wrote:

@hateAshbury wrote:

Don't bother.  AMEX changed their policy in November, 2011, and they will no longer backdate Additional Card Members.  If you later obtain your own AMEX card, however, they will backdate this to the date you were first added as an AU on the above Gold cared. 

Honestly, I think that's a good call on Amex's part.  It would be too easy to get a long credit history, just get added on your parent's Amex!  Have 30 years of history when you're only 20!

Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@hateAshbury wrote:

Don't bother.  AMEX changed their policy in November, 2011, and they will no longer backdate Additional Card Members.  If you later obtain your own AMEX card, however, they will backdate this to the date you were first added as an AU on the above Gold cared. 

Honestly, I think that's a good call on Amex's part.  It would be too easy to get a long credit history, just get added on your parent's Amex!  Have 30 years of history when you're only 20!

Big +1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@hateAshbury wrote:

Big +1

Yeah, in my view, backdating an AU to the original Basic member date as if it were their own is pretty cheesy and disengenuous.

Message 9 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@hateAshbury wrote:

Big +1

Yeah, in my view, backdating an AU to the original Basic member date as if it were their own is pretty cheesy and disengenuous.

I kinda feel the same way for actual cardholders because its really not genuine on how long youve actually held the card. Dont get me wrong for the people that got backdating more power to you and not trying to rain on their parade at all, but it just doesn't seem fair across to board.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.