Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx PRG Rewards signup, possible SPG transfer

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

AmEx PRG Rewards signup, possible SPG transfer

Can anyone offer their opinions on the AmEx PRG Memebership Rewards program?  How are the points?  I just received a 50,000 after $1,000 spend sign-up bonus offer. The offer equates 1 point to $0.01.  I've looked at the membershiprewards.com site a bit and it seems to confirm this.

However, I'm mainly interested in taking the offer since I could transfer the 50,000 points to my SPG program for approximately 16,500 SPG points.  Yes, this is not a great exchange rate. The only way the points would retain value is if I redeem for a Cash and Points offer that works out to $0.03 or more point value.  The way I look at it though,  it is $1,000 spend for 16,500 SPG points.  On my SPG card, I'd have to spend $16,500 to earn that much (or something like $8,000 on hotel rooms.)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx PRG Rewards signup, possible SPG transfer

If you value SPG points and are happy going into it as a $1k spend for 16,500 SPG points then I see no reason not to. As you already have an Amex it'll be a soft pull if you're denied. Of course, you could get better value out of MR points in other ways, transfering to an airline program during a bonus transfer offer, for example. You could also just leave the MR points sat there until you needed an extra 16,500 SPG points for a redemption too.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.