Did you mean: 

AmEx Platinum Limit

tag
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx Platinum Limit

@Watchmann wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit department at AmEx just told me they started me off with a $2K limit.

That kind of sucks. How much AF do you have to pay for the card $450 and they give you $2k limit? I think you are better off asking them to change it to gold and ask them to refund part of the AF you are paying. Unless you are planning on doing lot of air travel and need the airport lounge access and other perks.

I have to agree, paying $450 for a $2,000 CL is crazy.  I am always offered a Platinum card but it makes no sense to me.  You are better getting another product from AMEX with a higher CL. Don't get sucked in to the platinum image mentality.  IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.  I've had an AMEX Platinum Optima card since 1990 with a $33,900 CL and no one has ever batted an eye in accepting it.  It is all eye candy, and you pay for the priviledge.
Message Edited by Watchmann on 08-28-2009 12:46 AM

+1

LLinsure, you may want to consider not activating this card if you have not activated the CC already. In any case, after further consideration you might choose to call them and see if they will product change the card  to avoid such a high AF.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-28-2009 12:00 AM
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, a $2000 CL isn't too bad considering that you have $300 CL's with FP as your other current accounts.

When I opened my first AMEX years ago, they allowed up to a whopping $600 the first month.  Fast forward 2 years later, my GREEN had gone to GOLD then to PLATINUM and I had charges as high as $87,000+.

AMEX starts by looking at your current credit and income.  Then they will factor in you spending and payments patterns and useage of your AMEX account. 

Also remember, that since it is a PIF charge account, the limit may not be as high as one with the option to pay over time, depending on your income and credit. 

The point is, if you want the Platinum card, don't expect $25k out of the chute.  You don't have the credit to support it.  But if you spend up to $2k for the first few months, chances are you'll move up (proportionate to your application stated income) over time as you PIF.

However, if you spending is very high rapidly, without having past credit to show a history of use, you are more likely to undergo FINANCIAL REVIEW which means they will require you to allow them to pull copies of your past tax returns directly from the IRS.

As stated by condord, you might want to consider going with GOLD (or maybe even GREEN) to lower the AF, unless you really want/need the Plat travel perks.  In that case, the AF should be considered you cover fee for those items, not for a huge CL.

Lastly, if you can qualify for membership, apply at NFCU for a CC.  Chances are that once the AMEX reports on your CR, then you app NFCU you would get a fairly high CL.  There are many people who got $10k or more having their other credit highest CL at $500 to $1500.

Message Edited by txjohn on 08-28-2009 05:36 AM
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The AF is not a problem since my company reimburses me for most of it. I do travel quite a bit and the card  benifits will be used. The $2K limit was about where I figgured it would be, since the other cards are so low. Thank you for your responses.
Message 13 of 16
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The AF is not a problem since my company reimburses me for most of it. I do travel quite a bit and the card  benifits will be used. The $2K limit was about where I figgured it would be, since the other cards are so low. Thank you for your responses.

Based on this information it will be a fantastic card for you to enjoy using!

Congratulations and be safe in your travels.

Message 14 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Amex Plat explained to me that they review and average the last six months of purchases.  From that number, they have create a flexible spending limit.

They will give exceptions, if you communicate with them.

I use to contact them if I am going to be doing heavy traveling or making a large purchase.  I also use to pay the balance off every week. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you travel frequently, the Plat is a great card to have, even with a $2k limit.  I easily get back the $450 AF (and then some) in all the perks.  If there are non-travel Plat holders, I'd like to hear how the benefits add up for them.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.