Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Pre-Apps - A Survey!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Pre-Apps - A Survey!

I know I'm not alone in always having the same four cards listed under my 'special card offers' on the AmEx site - the Platinum, the Rewards Plus Gold, the Blue and the Blue Sky. I already have the Blue, have done since May, but that doesn't stop it coming up in the list of (non)pre-approvals.

So! Just by way of experiment... AmEx cardholders and non-cardholders alike, tell me what cards the site comes up with when you check for offers! I know I've seen a couple of people mention that the site shows different cards from the ones above, but it seems the vast majority get the same four as me... so thought I would start a thread to find out! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AmEx Pre-Apps - A Survey!

Same as yours, and I've already got the Gold Preferred Rewards. If they ever do change the selection, I'll probably fall off the couch.

edit to add: and on my main accounts page, they invite me to apply for the Plat. Ummm, no.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-20-2008 10:05 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Blue and I recently got an e-mail from them offering me the Jet Blue (no thanks).  Then, at my account they offier the Green, Gold and Starwood.  They've never asked me about the Blue Cash or Clear.  Guess they want me to have one where I pay an AF.  Not!
Message 3 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have the blue and my current offers are:

Green

Delta Skymiles

Starwood.

In the past they have suggested Gold and Hilton.

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 07-20-2008 12:45 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 17
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It has changed since the last time. Now I received offers for:

Blue (had this one since 12/06, I converted it to Clear last week)
Hilton Honors Platinum
Gold Rewards Plus (had this one since 04/07 and converted to Plat some months back)
Message 5 of 17
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

I have Gold Rewards Plus Charge (2006), Blue (2007) and Clear (2008). When ever I log in I get: Additional Blue, Clear (add someone to your account)

My offers have fluctuated between -

Online:
Platinum
One
Hilton
Blue Sky
Gold Delta Skymiles
Green Preferred Rewards

Mail:
Jet Blue
Business Gold
Business Blue

Email:
Business Gold
Business Blue

BTW, did I mention I do not have a business! IMHO, it's just a ploy.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten em for all the cards at one point or another. I've never applied for an Amex card and been turned down. I think internally I qualify for all except that elusive black card.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

D_Boone, so do you have to be like Oprah or Bill Gates to get one of those black AMEX cards? Smiley Wink  I don't think I've heard of anyone on here having one.  Or, maybe I just missed it.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya the black card is marketed as the height of Cards and status. One must run 250K for a year through a another charge card first, usually platinum and be a cardholder for 1 year. Then they send you the invitation or you can just call em. The initial cost is $7500.00 then $2500.00 a year thereafter. The concierge is the biggest attraction. It is outsourced to a firm called Circles. The Boston Magazine did a 3 pager on the service. Here is the link: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/genies_are_standing_by/page1 The article is an in-depth look into the world of the concierge service. Similar services are VIPdesk and Virtuoso. I can't remember but there are more of them out there. The card is made of Titanium and comes with a quarterly magazine called Black Ink. It's an interesting cards. Other cards @ this level include the Mastercard World Signia and the Visa Infinite. The latter two are not talked about anywhere near as much as the famed black card and I think most people don't know about them.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, this is interesting - thank you, guys! Every time I've seen people talk about what they're supposedly pre-approved for (if only it didn't say 'non-pre-approved' or something at the top of the window as soon as you click on those offers, I might just be suckered into feeling 'special'...!), I've seen them mention the exact same 'offers' I have - but so far only Ms. Hauling (err... Hauling, you are female, right?) has the same ones as I do.

There goes my 'everyone - or at least 99% of everyone - gets the same pre-app offers' theory! And HTSU... I think if I signed in one day to find some different offers, my first reaction would be to assume everyone else would have those same ones too. The day it happens, I'm coming back here with another straw poll - and if it turns out that I really do have my own special offers, I really will fall out of my chair! Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.