Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Preferred vs. Premier ?

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

AmEx Preferred vs. Premier ?

Greetings, Friends:

I have just received an email from American Express, informing me that my application for the Gold Card has been approved and that the card will arrive in about a week.

Considering that my Experian FAKO is only 647, this is quite a welcome surprise – and even though the AmEx was not something I was really working toward, if I am able to get them to back-date the account to 1982 (my own first AmEx card), it should help my overall scores in some measure.

The card I applied for is the “Preferred Rewards” card ($125 AF).  (I saw no upgrade option in the invitation they sent me).

Question:  Would it be worthwhile to immediately upgrade to the “Premier Rewards” card ($175 AF) ??

I have already done the search, but can’t find a site which compares the two products. 

Does anyone here know if there is a real difference?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AmEx Preferred vs. Premier ?

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

Greetings, Friends:

I have just received an email from American Express, informing me that my application for the Gold Card has been approved and that the card will arrive in about a week.

Considering that my Experian FAKO is only 647, this is quite a welcome surprise – and even though the AmEx was not something I was really working toward, if I am able to get them to back-date the account to 1982 (my own first AmEx card), it should help my overall scores in some measure.

The card I applied for is the “Preferred Rewards” card ($125 AF).  (I saw no upgrade option in the invitation they sent me).

Question:  Would it be worthwhile to immediately upgrade to the “Premier Rewards” card ($175 AF) ??

I have already done the search, but can’t find a site which compares the two products. 

Ive never heard of this preferred rewards card, what are the benefits?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Greetings, Friends:

Ive never heard of this preferred rewards card, what are the benefits?

LS, 

He was talking about American Express Gold Card.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/gold/25330

Ron.

Message 3 of 8
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

So, am I correct in presuming that the "Preferred Rewards Gold Card" is just a regular Gold Card?

http://www.bestpremiumcard.com/american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-card.html

Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 8
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Can the card be upgraded immediately - even before activating. 

Or does the account have to be active for a certain amount of time?

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Can the card be upgraded immediately - even before activating. 

Or does the account have to be active for a certain amount of time?

I would call in tommorow it may be early enough to do it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

link:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=KJ4BgOBKlts&offerid=143595.10001664&type=3&subid=0

I click it and it came back invalid.

Invalid Publisher Code, Offer, or Publisher - Advertiser Partnership Status

Ron.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.