Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Spending Ability Question

tag
Goblin
Regular Contributor

AmEx Spending Ability Question

I read here that AmEx members could request the spending ability over their designated limit.  

So being in a bit of a bind, I took advantage of this option and requested an amount over my current limit and spent a portion of it. 

To give you an idea, here are the details:

Amex Gold Delta - revolver

Original Limit:  $2200

Spending ability: $1000 over limit

Spent: $700 over limit

Statement Balance:  $2900

I figured that I would atleast owe a minimum payment, plus the $700 I went over.    Today I finally received my minimum payment amount and it only says $90.

I called AmEx to ask a representative why I only had to pay $90, instead of atleast $700.  He said AmEx understands that their members sometimes need the extra help and that I only have to pay the $90 to be current and not considered late.  Although he advised me to pay the entire amount over the limit.

I asked what would happen if I only pay $90, he said AmEx may not allow me to make additional purchases until it is paid down.  

I'm still in a bit of a bind, so not having to pay the entire amount would be helpful, but I don't want to run the risk of AmEx conducting a financial review and perhaps lowering my limit, and possibly affecting my future 3x cli requests....

Anyone with experience with this or suggestions?    Possible scenarios of what could happen?

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: AmEx Spending Ability Question

@Goblin wrote:

I read here that AmEx members could request the spending ability over their designated limit.  

So being in a bit of a bind, I took advantage of this option and requested an amount over my current limit and spent a portion of it. 

To give you an idea, here are the details:

Amex Gold Delta - revolver

Original Limit:  $2200

Spending ability: $1000 over limit

Spent: $700 over limit

Statement Balance:  $2900

I figured that I would atleast owe a minimum payment, plus the $700 I went over.    Today I finally received my minimum payment amount and it only says $90.

I called AmEx to ask a representative why I only had to pay $90, instead of atleast $700.  He said AmEx understands that their members sometimes need the extra help and that I only have to pay the $90 to be current and not considered late.  Although he advised me to pay the entire amount over the limit.

I asked what would happen if I only pay $90, he said AmEx may not allow me to make additional purchases until it is paid down.  

I'm still in a bit of a bind, so not having to pay the entire amount would be helpful, but I don't want to run the risk of AmEx conducting a financial review and perhaps lowering my limit, and possibly affecting my future 3x cli requests....

Anyone with experience with this or suggestions?    Possible scenarios of what could happen?

pay over the minimum payment, paying only the minimum is a huge red flag, depending on your relationship lenth and past history, you could be on the edge of FR, or other AA, since you expected to pay  $700 plus minimum, I would do so, perhaps charge a bill that you normally pay with cash, to keep things under control, if its a longer term situation, you may want to revaluate your current budget, and possibly sellign some assets to cover this emergency. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 12
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Great advice, James. 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
Berk
Established Contributor

AMEX loves to see an account paid in full every month. The were a charge card only company until 1989 I believe when the offered their first credit card, the Optima. All their cards have the ability to be treated with a No Preset Spend Limit.  I have a charge card and a credit card with AMEX. I cannot tell you how they treat customers who pay over time as I have always paid my account in full on both cards by the due date. I can tell you that AMEX does seem to be coming to the conclusion that to compete in today's market, they better start offering people products more conducive to the average user so they are starting to change.

Pay the $700.00 AMEX allowed you to go over plus more than the minimum payment and you should be fine.

Message 4 of 12
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Thanks Berk!  I was thinking that as well, just to play it safe.

Message 5 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

I would also be very careful about going over the limit anytime soon.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

Well he already did. But yes great they allowed. But as others stated. For sure don't pay minimum. And if rep said pay the 700. Do it. Use another card  to pay other expenses as not to freak them out.  

Message 7 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

Well he already did. But yes great they allowed. But as others stated. For sure don't pay minimum. And if rep said pay the 700. Do it. Use another card  to pay other expenses as not to freak them out.  

I understand that. I would not want to habbit of going over the limit

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

True. I also read where others said any amex will allow I'm just to chicken to try. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has let me charge over the limit on my everyday card twice with no issue. I paid the amount over and then some on top of that.

Amex seems to prefer pay in full but a friend of mine has a good rate with them. He bought a tv for 1k and paid it off over four months without any issues. He even got an increase two months later.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.