cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx 'Transfer Available Credit' option.

tag
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

AmEx 'Transfer Available Credit' option.

So... I was poking around my AmEx accounts; and noticed the 'Transfer Available Credit' option. Naturally; this got me to thinking. 

History: 

I have 2 personal AmEx at the moment: 

- AmEx BlueCash (original) ($6k CL)

- Mercedes AmEx ($2k CL)

I was planning on kicking up the Mercedes AmEx to $6k, at the end of Oct (3x CLI rule); when my 6 months was up from my last CLI. This way; I'd have 2 cards @ $6k each; when I apped for a 3rd AmEx (BCE) in Jan (for AAoA backdating).

The theory; is that if I have 2 cards at $6k; perhaps I'd possibly get a higher starting limit on the 3rd card (both previous cards issued at $2k CL). 

After finding this though; I was thinking about kicking up the BC (3x Rule) to $18k; then transferring $8k to the Mercedes AmEx. This would result in the BC & the Mercedes AmEx both being @ $10k. So, both cards would have a much higher limit, when I App in Jan (see above theory). 

Also, It'd be nice to possibly transfer some of the new CL over to the new card in Jan, as I have a substantial dental bill coming up in Jan (over $6k); which would be nice to put on my BC (to apply towards the $6500 threshold, for the higher tier); then possibly balance transfer over to the new BCE in Jan, for the 6 mo w/o interest. 

Then, the thought of a FR kicked in. This really wouldn't be much of an issue; more of an inconvenience. But, if I can avoid going through the hassle; it'd be preferred. 

Has anyone had any experience with playing with the AmEx Transfer Available Credit option; while doing the 3x CLI thing? If so, what was your experience with it? 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx 'Transfer Available Credit' option.

I remember a thread on it, i recall someone being able to transfer all but 500 from one card to another. You see 3x credit increases all the time. Gf had instant 3x after 6 months. Somepeople get 3x after 60 days

Message 2 of 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: AmEx 'Transfer Available Credit' option.

I would check first to see if there are any restrictions on transferring credit limits, for example, can you transfer immediately after a CLI request or do you have to wait 6 months similar to a CLI request.  I'm just speculating here, no specific info, but make sure there aren't any such restrictions before you go forward.  Also, I thought I read a thread hear that said you couldn't transfer between accounts unless they were both open for at least 13 months.  May want to check into that before you move forward.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.