cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Zync w/autopay

tag
mrmopkins

AmEx Zync w/autopay

Hello all!  New member here and I thought I'd share my AmEx story with a bit of backstory; I've learned a lot from reading these posts, and thought I'd return the favor...

In Feb 2011, I had a ch7 drop off my credit reports.  At the time I had 2 HSBC rebuilders and 2 Cap1 rebuilders, as well as several (many) student loans.  All of these accounts were 3-8 years old, and I had 2 inquiries, for opening a checking acct and Comcast service.  As soon as I knew my reports were clean, I apped for the Zync, and was declined due to high utilization (about 60%), low limits on cards (at the time my CLs ranged from $320-$635), and COs.  Dejected, I applied for nothing else.  I disputed all the COs successfully, and a few months later opened an AmEx savings account.  I applied again; rejected, same reasons minus the COs.  I also applied for the Paypal Extras MC, and was counteroffered Smart Connect w/$1000CL.  Finally in November 2011, I applied for a 3rd time after some good luck with Cap1 (worthy of its own post) and was denied, but counteroffered the Zync w/$500CL and autopay.  According to AmEx my EXP score at the time was 622.  Suffice it to say that it took a month on the phone with CSRs to actually locate my card once it showed 'approved' online, and I had to set up the 'required' autopay myself, but I've been using it alot and paying early and often, and no problems so far.

I have no illusions, however, that this card will someday, or ever, turn into a better card.  I'm pretty sure this is a test for AmEx; the sub-prime market is shrinking, debit card fees are (were) rising, and the economy is improving.  I think it's a smart move on their part, and I for one am happy to have an alternative to Cap1.  I am also thrilled that I wedged myself into AmEx's door.  Hope my longwindedness helped someone, and I'll be happy to respond with any ?s.

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: EX 647 TU 610
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Erica1
Regular Contributor

Re: AmEx Zync w/autopay

Great post and congratulations! The Zync is a great start. I know there are plenty of people here often asking for more success posts from those with a few bumps in their past so I'm sure this will be very helpful to a lot of people. I'm thinking of getting a Zync to make my future apping with them easier. It's a good foot in the door.
2/22/13: TU-716, EX-702, 4/24: EQ-749
2/20/14: TU-695, EQ-671
Goal: mid-700's
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.