Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx and Credit Limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx and Credit Limits

Hey guys,

I am new to the site and have a quick question...I applied for two AmEx cards at the same time, first, I applied for the BCP and then the Everyday. I was approved instantly for $1,000. The second app, for the Everyday card, I got a message to contact them. I did the next day and they were still processing. I waited a couple of days and called back and got a very nice CSR. She told me that my app looked fine and it seemed like she ran it through the computer..."60 seconds," she said, "30 more seconds please," and voila, approved for $9,900, "since you had to wait, we will express mail this for you."

Now, my question, why such a difference in credit limits between both cards? My assumption is the credit requirements between both cards, AND I "suspect" that the CSR asked her computer for an instant CLI....point me in the right direction credit geniuses!

First post, but this is what's in my wallet:
Quicksilver 10k
Venture 15k
DoubleCash 3.6k
Discover It 6.5k
QuicksilverOne 4.25k
AmEx Everyday 9.9k
AmEx BCP 1k
Freedom 2k

8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AmEx and Credit Limits

Congratulations!

The starting limits for an AMEX card are just an opening bid. The $1,000 is nice because it gets you the card. The $9,900 is nice, but kind of odd, so they must have decided you were to be just under $11,000 total.

The CL on the BCP can be grown, with the 3X CLI request option. With two cards, probably best to wait 60 days or more, but eventually you can ask it to grow.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

No rhyme or reason for Amex approval limits 

Just be happy you got both cards rare to see 2 revolvers approved at once

It will grow via SP CLI's 

Congrats X2

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing with me in 2014...BCE approved @ $2k and then ED a couple days later for $9.4k.

congrats on your approvals!!

Message 4 of 9
Septrosh
New Contributor

Congrats on the cards!  AMEX is  great company. You'll have that growing with CLI in no time. Welcome to the forums. 

Message 5 of 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

Wow, 1k and 9.9k and with you current limits. 

I'll say wait 2-3 months and 3X the 1k card. Then 6 months later ask for CLI on 9.9k card. After 13 months you can transfer some limit from the larger limit to the lower limit card.

If your income is good, you can have a 3k card in a couple of months and 9.9k card. Then after 6 months the 9.9k can be over 20k, then transfer 5k to the 3k card (after 13 months) and ask for 3x on that card, you could end with 2 amex cards with over 20k in 14 months.

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now, my question, why such a difference in credit limits between both cards?

No idea as we don't have the details regarding AmEx criteria or your credit profile.  Don't assume that limits should be the same or similar even if you apply at the same time for more than one card.  They could be the same, they could differ.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would be considered a good income? I am sitting right at 50k

Message 8 of 9
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would be considered a good income? I am sitting right at 50k

I got my 35k Amex BCP limit on a 52k income after several cli's.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.