Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx and TU - Deletion Instead of Correction

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

AmEx and TU - Deletion Instead of Correction

I recently filed a dispute with TU via fax, asking them to correct the coding/description of my AmEx charge card to 'Other Account' to get it out of my revolving credit calcs.

I got their Investigation Results letter in the mail today - they DELETED the account from my report!

This doesn't seem to have hurt my score, but I'm not sure what will happen from here or what I can do to correct the matter.

Will the account show back up when AmEx reports it to them again, or will TU refuse to add it back into my CR even though AmEx is reporting it to them due to this screwed-up dispute?

Thanks for any info/suggestions anyone can provide.

Message Edited by scapegrace13 on 04-25-2008 07:52 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx and TU - Deletion Instead of Correction

If it is an open account, I would assume that it would report again when your next statement drops...
Message 2 of 8
Scamp
Valued Contributor

tonsers wrote:
If it is an open account, I would assume that it would report again when your next statement drops...

It's open and in good standing. 

Thanks for the response, tonsers.  Hope others can confirm your thought on them putting it back on next time AmEx reports it to them...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man, that is annoying!

Sorry to hear this happened to you, scapegrace.  This is why it's not usually a good idea to dispute anything about positive accounts, even if something may be reporting incorrectly.

I think the question of whether it will report again on the normal monthly update could go either way.  TU is not supposed to reinsert items that were removed due to dispute without notifying the consumer within five days.  Sometimes what is designed to help us, like that particular requirement, often works against us.

Please keep us posted!

Message 4 of 8
Scamp
Valued Contributor

cheddar wrote:
Man, that is annoying!

Sorry to hear this happened to you, scapegrace.  This is why it's not usually a good idea to dispute anything about positive accounts, even if something may be reporting incorrectly.

I think the question of whether it will report again on the normal monthly update could go either way.  TU is not supposed to reinsert items that were removed due to dispute without notifying the consumer within five days.  Sometimes what is designed to help us, like that particular requirement, often works against us.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks for your thoughts, Cheddar.  I needed to dispute it at the time because my util on all cards was so high that my AmEx balance being included in util was putting me at 110% - and of course, tanking my score.

That problem has since been solved in other ways, but I never in my life expected a simple note asking them to correct the coding/description would result in DELETION of the TL!

If it doesn't come back on its own, which it sounds like it might not, is it possible to follow up on the original dispute thru 'Special Handling' and try to fix it?  Or am I able to file another dispute to try to get it added back in and straightened out?

Or should I just leave it alone, since its absence isn't really hurting my score, aside from whatever 'mix' benefit it provided me?

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My gold card hasn't reported yet, correctly or incorrectly, so I don't know the details of how to fix this for good. I'm quite certain that I'll be in your position soon with at least one report.

But I really do think in cases like yours that the CRA's, or at any rate, individual employees of the CRA's, are deleting as a means of retaliation against consumers trying to get them to do their jobs correctly. Stinks for them, to be held accountable. Smiley Mad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Same thing happend to me also. I have called TU and asked them to reinsert it. They said I have to call Amex. I called Amex they said, they will re-report it and check the report again in 30 days. Hopefully in the next month or two it should appear back again on my TU.

Lesson learned, dont dispute witih TU unless you are willing to loose the TradeLine.Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
Scamp
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
My gold card hasn't reported yet, correctly or incorrectly, so I don't know the details of how to fix this for good. I'm quite certain that I'll be in your position soon with at least one report.

But I really do think in cases like yours that the CRA's, or at any rate, individual employees of the CRA's, are deleting as a means of retaliation against consumers trying to get them to do their jobs correctly. Stinks for them, to be held accountable. Smiley Mad

Hope you have better luck with your card, HTSU, and I have the same suspicions about individual CRA employees, prompted by my dealings thus far with them. Smiley Mad 

There really ought to be some sort of post-dispute recourse for the consumer in situations like this...

...and if wishes were horses, we'd all ride astride.  Smiley Indifferent

My only consolation is that this doesn't seem to have hurt my score - TU currently is my highest.  In light of that, I'll probably just leave it alone for now, other than contacting AmEx to make sure they don't think I'm doing something screwy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.