Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx monthly payment strategy

tag
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

AmEx monthly payment strategy

So I got the Zync card last month and have already come upon my first statement.  My closing date was Nov. 2 and the bill is due Nov. 17.  I PIF the balance on Nov. 1st but AmEx hit me with the $25 AF on the statement closing date.  I was trying to avoid a balance being reported to the bureaus, but by the time I realized they hit me with the annual fee, the statement was closed.  So that $25 is what was reported to the bureaus.  I paid the $25 annual fee on Nov. 3rd but I'm trying to determine what the best strategy is for paying AmEx.  Should I PIF before the statement closing date to show a zero balance each month or should I just PIF after the statement closing date to show usage.  If I PIF after statment closes, then I'll do it the day after the statement closes--so most likely on the 3rd of the month?  Since this is a charge card, do I want a balance reporting each month or is it best to not have a balance showing?  Will a balance showing factor into my utilization?  I also want to demonstrate that I do use the card, so I'm worried that PIF before statement will defeat that purpose.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx monthly payment strategy

Charge cards dont factor into your utilisation. I have a zync card and i always it after the statement cuts. Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Charge cards dont factor into your utilisation. I have a zync card and i always it after the statement cuts. Hope this helps.

They don't factor in on EQ and EX, but TU98 (the version you get on this site) does count them.  If you don't want it to count into your utilization on any report, you need to pay before your statement closes so that it shows a $0 balance when the statement is generated. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

So I got the Zync card last month and have already come upon my first statement.  My closing date was Nov. 2 and the bill is due Nov. 17.  I PIF the balance on Nov. 1st but AmEx hit me with the $25 AF on the statement closing date.  I was trying to avoid a balance being reported to the bureaus, but by the time I realized they hit me with the annual fee, the statement was closed.  So that $25 is what was reported to the bureaus.  I paid the $25 annual fee on Nov. 3rd but I'm trying to determine what the best strategy is for paying AmEx.  Should I PIF before the statement closing date to show a zero balance each month or should I just PIF after the statement closing date to show usage.  If I PIF after statment closes, then I'll do it the day after the statement closes--so most likely on the 3rd of the month?  Since this is a charge card, do I want a balance reporting each month or is it best to not have a balance showing?  Will a balance showing factor into my utilization?  I also want to demonstrate that I do use the card, so I'm worried that PIF before statement will defeat that purpose.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ultimately I think this is a personal decision, Charge cards dont factor in to util.  Personally I pay my charge card by the due date and let it report, however I PIF my AMEX revolver by the statement cut date to show no balance.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 6
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

For charge card, the utilization is not taken into account, PIF anytime before the due day should be fine

for revolving card, it's better to show a <10% balance and then PIF by due day,

PIF before the statement date won't provide any evidence that you're appropriately managing your debt

Message 5 of 6
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Yes im trying to do the same thing. So the FICOs i get from this site count Charge Cards into util ?

I have 2 new AMEX and i paid a bulk of a few weeks ago. my statements cut on the 18th and 25th and i tried to may more but since its a new setup they only allow one mayment every 30days. after the 31st day i should be fine.

i dont want the balances to report but my only option at this point is to mail in a payment, which i guess ill do.

Does anyone know if thos AMEX travel stores are still around, if so do they take payments ?

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.